Arizona man returned to Boston to face charges in 1988 double murder
An Arizona man arrested late last month in St. Louis was brought back to Massachusetts on Monday to face charges in a 1988 double murder in Roxbury, authorities said.
Carlton Henderson, 52, will be arraigned Tuesday in Roxbury Municipal Court on two counts of murder for the May 7, 1988, shooting deaths of William Medina, 26, and Antonio Dos Reis, 22, on Windsor Street, Suffolk District Attorney Daniel F. Conley’s office said.
Medina and Reis were sitting in a black Chevrolet IROC-Z at 10:25 p.m. when Henderson allegedly gunned them down. Medina was shot in the head and managed to get out of the car before collapsing. Reis was shot in the chest and died instantly.
Police found about $20,000 in cash in a brown paper bag in the back seat of the car, according to Globe reports. Officials at the time described the killing as drug-related, although Reis’s family said he repaired cars for a living and was not involved with drugs.
In an unusual twist, Medina’s name arose in a police corruption case two years later, when Boston police detective Carlos A. Luna testified in Suffolk Superior Court that he had falsely named Medina as an informant in an unrelated case in which Luna’s partner had been shot to death.
Luna testified that he conspired with a prosecutor and another police officer to identify Medina instead of the actual informant because Medina was dead, according to Globe articles from the time. Luna was fired from the police department.
In the investigation into the killings of Medina and Reis, police had collected ballistics evidence, but the case languished, a police spokeswoman said last month.
In 1993, a man named Reuben Taylor was shot to death in Miami, and police recovered a gun in the case.
In 2014, the Medina and Reis case was reopened, and bullets from the 1988 murder were later matched to the gun from the Miami killing, police said. Detectives developed additional information that connected Henderson to the 1988 killings.
Henderson’s alleged involvement in the Miami shooting is still under investigation.