Suspect didn’t have relationship with victims, officials say
Suffolk County District Attorney Daniel F. Conley said Monday there was “no evidence whatsoever” that the man accused of killing two doctors in their South Boston penthouse had a “personal relationship” with the victims, contradicting earlier comments from police officials.
“There is no evidence whatsoever at this stage that the defendant had a personal relationship with either Dr. Field or Dr. Bolaños . . . nor is there any evidence to explain why he would attack them so viciously,” Conley said at an afternoon news conference.
Conley said police are still investigating the motive in the killings of Lina Bolaños, 38, and Richard Field, 49. Officials previously said that the two doctors and their accused killer, Bampumim Teixeira, were known to each other, but did not say how.
Conley also refuted previous police reports that Teixeira had opened fire at police officers at the couple’s condominium, saying no gun was found at the scene.
“A preliminary investigation suggests that the officers were responding to a report of an intruder at the residence who was armed with a gun,” Conley said. “The officers encountered that intruder . . . in a darkened interior hallway. The officers believed that the assailant either pointed or fired a weapon at them in the darkened hallway and as a result they discharged their own firearms.”
At least one knife and a replica gun was found at the condominium, officials said.