fb-pixel Skip to main content

Classroom fire causes $200,000 in damage to Mattapan private school

An early morning classroom fire inside a Mattapan private school caused an estimated $200,000in damage early Thursday morning, fire officials said.

No injuries were reported as a result of the fire, said Boston Fire department spokesman Steve MacDonald. The blaze was limited to one classroom on the second floor, he said.

About 35 firefighters were dispatched to the one-alarm fire at the Berea SDA Academy on Morton Street at 12:43 a.m., and took about 15 to 20 minutes to knock it down, he said.

The fire appears to have been sparked by electrical wiring inside the classroom, said MacDonald.

The building is undergoing a renovation and had smoke and water damage as a result of the fire, he said.


John Hilliard can be reached at john.hilliard@globe.com.