fb-pixel Skip to main content

Suspects pistol-whipped an elderly man during a violent home invasion Tuesday morning in Canton, in an attack that bore similarities to recent crimes in the Boston area, officials said.

The incident occurred shortly before 11:05 a.m. in the northeast sector of town on Route 138, according to a statement from Canton police. Three Hispanic males wearing hoodies broke into a home belonging to “an elderly man and his wife,” and “the male resident was pistol-whipped,” the statement said.

Two assailants were armed, and the men fled in a black Chrysler Pacifica, according to police. The victim was taken to a local hospital for treatment for head injuries that were serious but not life threatening, authorities said.

Advertisement



“Our detectives are working closely with Boston PD to identify the suspects, as we have received information that there may be a nexus to a similar crime in that jurisdiction within the past month,” Canton police said.

The statement did not indicate whether the suspects in Tuesday’s crime got away with any cash or valuables.

Deputy Chief Helena Rafferty declined to provide further details on the possible Boston connection, writing in an e-mail that the investigation was “still fluid.” Chief Ken Berkowitz was scheduled to brief reporters later Tuesday afternoon.

The Route 138 incident is similar to a home invasion that occurred in Hyde Park on July 6, in which Cesar Lara Aguasvivas, 23, allegedly broke into a woman’s Beaver Street residence with three other armed men and ransacked the place while she was held at gunpoint.

Aguasvivas is currently being held on $1 million case bail on charges of home invasion, kidnapping while armed with a firearm, assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, and malicious destruction of property over $250.

Law enforcement officials previously told the Globe that investigators are probing whether Aguasvivas also participated in a home invasion on July 10 in Milton.

Advertisement



In that case, prosecutors say Odalis Pascual German-Perez, 21, and another man tied up a husband and wife in their Blue Hill Avenue home, stole some of their belongings, and then escorted the husband to a bank where he was forced to withdraw a large amount of money.

German-Perez was recently ordered held in the Milton robbery on $100,000 bail on charges of armed assault in a dwelling, home invasion, two counts of kidnapping, and assault and battery.


Danny McDobald of the Globe Staff contributed to this report. Travis Andersen can be reached at travis.andersen@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe.