fb-pixel

‘Dukes of Hazzard’ star allegedly told 16-year-old accuser, ‘I’m a creepy old man’

Actor Tom Wopat (right) stood during his arraignment last month.
Actor Tom Wopat (right) stood during his arraignment last month.WCVB-TV/AP/Associated Press

Tom Wopat, the former “Dukes of Hazzard” star charged with groping a woman in Waltham, is now facing additional charges that he indecently assaulted a 16-year-old girl, court records show.

Wopat, 66, allegedly assaulted both accusers in July, while the three of them were rehearsing a Reagle Music Theatre production of “42nd Street.” The new charges involving the juvenile were first reported by Waltham Patch.

The actor’s publicist did not immediately respond to requests for comment Tuesday, but the representative said previously that Wopat “firmly denies” groping the adult accuser.

According to court records, the teenager spoke with police on Aug. 16, two weeks after Wopat’s arrest on the earlier charges. She said Wopat told her during a rehearsal on July 25 that she was talented and cute, a Waltham police report said.

Advertisement



The girl told police that someone else advised Wopat not to flirt with her because of her age, and the actor responded, “don’t worry, because my wife is 17 years younger than me, so I’m good,” the report said.

He allegedly told the girl, “I’m a creepy old man, you’re really talented and really cute,” according to the report. Then while they were rehearsing a scene, Wopat allegedly poked her stomach and hit her buttocks with his script, telling the teen, “Nice butt,” police said.

During another rehearsal a few nights later, the report said, the girl spotted Wopat outside a female dressing room and saw him “push on [the door] to go in.” As he did so, the document said, Wopat allegedly declared, “I’m going in because I have to re-learn the names of all the girls because of their wigs.”

The 16-year-old told him he wasn’t allowed inside, prompting a tense exchange, according to the report.

“Don’t worry, I wasn’t peeking,” Wopat said.

“Ah, you kind of were,” the girl responded.

Advertisement



Police said Wopat continued to hover outside the dressing room and that video footage appears to corroborate the girl’s account.

“There does not seem to be any reason why he is walking back and forth in this hallway,” the report said. “Other than it appears he is interested in the girls dressing room.”

Wopat is scheduled to be arraigned Oct. 24 on new charges of indecent assault and battery on a person aged 14 or over, and two counts of accosting or annoying another person, court records show.

He is currently free on $1,000 bail after pleading not guilty in August to charges of indecent assault and battery and cocaine possession, after police allegedly recovered cocaine from his 1996 Ford Bronco when they arrested him.

The earlier case stems from allegations that Wopat grabbed the buttocks of another woman who was also in the cast. Wopat was forced to bow out of the production after his August arrest.

Robert Eagle, executive producer of the Reagle Music Theatre, said Tuesday that the company is reviewing its policies related to the allegations.

“We want to state unequivocally that sexual harassment — or harassment of any kind, is not tolerated at Reagle Music Theatre,” Eagle said in a statement. “Since we learned of the allegations, we have been working to review our policies and procedures, assuring that clear-cut protocols are in place for handling concerns and taking immediate and responsive action. We have also examined our actions in connection with the recent incidents to help identify any changes or improvements that are necessary to ensure our prompt and effective response to complaints or reports of sexual harassment.”

Advertisement



Wopat earned a permanent place in the annals of television history with his star turn as Luke Duke in the long-running “Dukes of Hazzard” show and received Tony nominations for roles in “Annie Get Your Gun” in 1999 and “Catered Affair” in 2008.

Wopat’s also a recording artist with a new album, entitled “Wopat,” slated for release on Oct. 27. Earlier this month, he released a single off the record called “ ’Til Death Do Us Part,” in which he sings about heading to Fort Worth with a gun and a plan to take a woman back.

“Well, if I can’t have her, nobody else can,” Wopat croons on the track. “I’ll make her change her mind, she’ll take me back again. No one can read the words that are etched upon my heart. We were meant to ride as one, ’til death do us part.”


Travis Andersen can be reached at travis.andersen@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe.