Next Score View the next score

    Reputed gang member jailed for allegedly murdering man on Expressway, woman in Dorchester

    Lance L. Holloman pleaded not guilty Wednesday to two counts of murder in the slayings of Scott M. Stevens Jr., 32, of Taunton and Michaela Gingras, 24, of Manchester, N.H.
    Jan Ransom/Globe staff
    Lance L. Holloman pleaded not guilty Wednesday to two counts of murder in the slayings of Scott M. Stevens Jr., 32, of Taunton and Michaela Gingras, 24, of Manchester, N.H.

    Lance L. Holloman was speeding in a rented Jeep Renegade when he abruptly crossed all lanes of traffic and pulled up next to a father and adult son who were riding motorcycles on the afternoon of Sept. 10 on the Southeast Expressway, newly released court records show.

    And for reasons that remained unclear after Holloman’s arraignment Wednesday, he allegedly stuck his arm out the driver’s side window and fired three shots; one bullet fatally wounded Scott Stevens Jr., 32, of Taunton when it pierced his helmet, and another shot left his father, Scott Sr., with serious injuries, a police report stated.

    Hours later, Holloman allegedly shot his girlfriend, Michaela Gingras, 24, who had reportedly witnessed the Expressway attack, multiple times inside his Dorchester home, killing her as well, authorities said Wednesday.


    The chilling details were contained in legal filings released shortly after Holloman, 30, pleaded not guilty in Dorchester Municipal Court to two counts of murder in the slayings of the younger Stevens and Gingras. He was ordered held without bail.

    Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
    Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    His court-appointed lawyer couldn’t be reached for comment.

    Scott Sr. and other members of the Stevens family attended Holloman’s arraignment, and most declined to comment afterward as detectives escorted them out of the courthouse.

    But a somber Phil Stevens, Scott Jr.’s uncle, told reporters he hopes Holloman receives “whatever kind of justice a murderer gets.” The weeks since his nephew’s death, he said, have been “as difficult as you can imagine.”

    Another Stevens relative, Rudolph Tapia, said the family remains unsure why Holloman allegedly gunned down Scott Jr. and wounded his father.


    “It was a random shooting,” Tapia said, adding that Scott Sr. recalled details of the attack after being released from the hospital. “They were riding along, and he looked back out of his mirror, and his son was down. And then that’s when he got shot.”

    Gingras, a Manchester, N.H., resident who investigators believe was riding in the Renegade when Holloman allegedly killed Stevens, met the same fate a few hours later on the third floor of Holloman’s home, while his parents and sister were also in the residence, State Police Trooper Timothy G. O’Connor wrote in the report filed in the case.

    O’Connor wrote that detectives seized the Renegade after someone reported shortly before 9:30 p.m. that the car was parked on Saint Marks Street near the Holloman residence on Santuit Street.

    As investigators took note of a large scrape and missing paint on the driver’s side of the vehicle, Holloman’s mother, Daphne Holloman, called 911 to report that shots were fired in the third-floor unit of their home, O’Connor wrote.

    When police entered the residence and walked up to the third floor, they were met by Holloman’s sister, Latoya Holloman-Johnson, who told them to “look in the living room that is why you are here,” the report said.


    Officers spotted a comforter wrapped in front of a couch and discovered Gingras, suffering from gunshot wounds to the head, when they pulled the blanket back, O’Connor wrote.

    The report said James Holloman, Lance’s father, told police he was sleeping when his wife woke him up to alert him to the shooting. He said Daphne Holloman then went upstairs and came back down in tears.

    “He stated that his wife . . . was almost on her knees and crying saying there is a body upstairs,” O’Connor wrote.

    By then, authorities allege, Lance Holloman had fled the scene in his family’s Chrysler, which police recovered in Franklin, where he was apprehended hours later, court records show.

    Holloman had flagged down a Franklin officer while waving a pair of white jeans over his head and claiming that people were trying to kill him, O’Connor wrote. He also claimed two armed Hispanic men had kidnapped him and tied him up in the back seat of his car, which appeared to have crashed into a pole, the report said.

    He initially identified himself as his older brother, Terronce Holloman, and fluctuated from being calm to letting out “loud screams and heavy breathing,” according to the report. Police later learned his true identity and arrested him.

    Travis Andersen can be reached at Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe.