Two men fatally shot overnight in Cambridge, Somerville

Map: Locations of the shootings

SOMERVILLE — Two men were killed in separate shootings that came just minutes apart in Cambridge and Somerville early Saturday morning, officials said.

Around 3:30 a.m., a 28-year-old Dorchester man was shot in a car on Windsor Street at Everteze Way in Cambridge. Ednilson Dacosta was rushed to the hospital, but he did not survive, according to a statement from the Middlesex District Attorney’s office.

“We are all shocked, because we do not expect something like this to happen,” said Dacosta’s sister, Chrismirian Dacosta. “Especially to someone who doesn’t have enemies.”


Just seven minutes later, on Canal Lane in Somerville, 20-year-old Kevin Raymond, described by those who knew him as a talented and cheerful football player, was shot in a parking lot. He was pronounced dead in the hospital.

Get Metro Headlines in your inbox:
The 10 top local news stories from metro Boston and around New England delivered daily.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

No one has been arrested in connection with either shooting, both of which are under investigation.

“It’s not known if the two incidents are connected,” Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan said in a statement.

Dacosta family
Ednilson Dacosta was shot while in a car in Cambridge.

Ednilson Dacosta was one of 12 siblings, said his sister Chrismirian — and he was the youngest of eight boys, “the baby brother.” Theirs is a tight family, she said. They gathered for cookouts and holidays and family meals, and Ednilson was always showing up with games and toys for her 7-year-old son.

“It’s 12 of us, so we have no need to have friends,” she said.


Ednilson Dacosta came to America from Cape Verde about 10 years ago in search of better opportunities, his sister said. He went to Jeremiah E. Burke High School, then got his commercial driver’s license and became a truck driver, she said.

He worked a lot, she said — weekdays and weekends. But he always made time for family gatherings. He was shy, but friendly with the people he knew, she said.

The last time Chrismirian saw her brother, she said, was a few weeks ago at a family dinner. They ate and watched a movie, and he talked about how he was saving money to bring his mother to America from Cape Verde. He wanted to take a vacation at the end of the year to see her, Chrismirian said.

Her brother was never a troublemaker, she said. He had no enemies and never mixed with gangs, she said.

“It happened,” she said. “We don’t know why.”


Ednilson Dacosta’s death is the first homicide in Cambridge in more than a year, according to the police department. There were two homicides in 2016.

In the parking lot in Somerville where Raymond was killed, police tape lay on the pavement and fluttered from a chain link fence on Saturday afternoon. Helen Mahoney, who said she had known Raymond his whole life, came to pray for him. She couldn’t imagine someone would target a young man who was “like brothers” with her own son.

“Not a troubled kid at all. I just don’t understand,” she said.

She said Raymond had one brother, and that the two were the “entire life” of the single mother who raised them. Mahoney said Raymond was “a great kid” with a bright future, “funny, outgoing, going to college, doing good for himself.”

Raymond’s family could not be reached for comment.

Raymond was a student at Franklin Pierce University in New Hampshire, according to school officials, though he had not been enrolled this semester. He had played football all four years at Somerville High School and went on to play at Franklin Pierce, according to his bio on the school’s website. His bio notes that in his collegiate debut, he made a solo tackle against Penn.

Makonnen Fenton, the head football coach at Somerville High School, said Raymond had been a star running back until he graduated in 2014.

“He was a great kid,” Fenton said in a phone interview, “always a smile on his face.”

Raymond was a mentor to other players, Fenton said, and he had worked as a summer camp counselor for the city and as a baby sitter.

“A lot of the kids . . . looked up to him,” Fenton said. “It’s a big loss for the community.”

Evan Allen can be reached at Follow her on Twitter @EvanMAllen. Jeremy C. Fox can be reached at Follow him on Twitter @jeremycfox. Lucas Phillips can be reached