The state’s high court ruled Thursday that people convicted of murder as teenagers are not being treated fairly by the Department of Correction when prison administrators are deciding whether to allow them to serve time in minimum-security prisons.
In a unanimous ruling, the Supreme Judicial Court ordered the department to change its rules and comply with a 2014 law that instructed the prison system to let juvenile killers – regardless of their current age – move to lower-security prisons. The ruling comes after the SJC upheld the law’s legality last year. “We conclude that the department still falls short of the requirements” of the 2014 law, Justice Kimberly S. Budd wrote for the court. “The department continues to block the majority of objectively qualifying juvenile homicide offenders from placement in a minimum security facility.”
The court ordered the department to record in-prison hearings where inmates can challenge classification decisions made by staffers that determine whether an inmate serves a sentence in maximum-, medium-, or minimum-security prisons.
Under a two-step system, the court said, 42 juvenile killers initially were cleared for transfer to minimum-security prisons, but officials at the next step invoked vaguely worded rules and required some 90 percent of the inmates to remain in medium-security prisons.
Only 5 to 15 percent of other inmates are required to remain in their existing security setting, the court said. “In practice, the process still largely deprives the inmate of individualized review,’’ Budd wrote.
The new rules apply to anyone convicted of committing second-degree or first-degree murder prior to turning 18.
The biggest question around Boston’s most significant highway project since the time of the Big Dig sounds like a debate from that era.Continue reading »
A recent abundance of acorns is the reason for an unprecedented surge in squirrel populations throughout New England, most particularly in New Hampshire.Continue reading »
A woman was fatally shot here Monday afternoon, sparking a extensive manhunt for her estranged husband who had allegedly chased her in a motor vehicle before the deadly attack.Continue reading »
In his first extensive interview Steve Bryant explains the utility’s response to the disaster in the Merrimack Valley.Continue reading »
At $950,000, the next owner is close enough to the mainland, but far enough out to enjoy some peace and quiet.Continue reading »
The small, silver fish that teem in large schools in the waters off New England are vital to the marine ecosystem, providing a crucial source of food to many of the region’s iconic species.Continue reading »
Joe Albanese, founder of Commodore Builders and a retired Navy captain, was named chief recovery officer following the gas explosions in the Merrimack Valley.Continue reading »
New routes could launch — and existing ones could be cut — as part of a broad rework of the transit agency’s bus system.Continue reading »
Franklin Vazquez was arraigned Monday on murder and attempted murder charges after allegedly assaulting three crewmembers on a Virginia-based fishing boat.Continue reading »