Next Score View the next score

    Boston 25 News resumes newscast after ‘threat’ to building

    A hoax bomb threat forced Boston 25 News to temporarily stop its regular newscast Friday afternoon and evacuate its Dedham facility, police said.

    Dedham Central Dispatch received a call around 5 p.m. “which indicated bombs were in place” at the station’s building on Fox Drive, Dedham police said in a statement Friday night.

    The station received a threat of a bomb in a vehicle in the parking garage, David Procopio, a State Police spokesman, said in an e-mail.


    Dedham police and firefighters responded to the scene with assistance from Westwood police, State Police, and Transit Police, according to the statement.

    Get Fast Forward in your inbox:
    Forget yesterday's news. Get what you need today in this early-morning email.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    A State Police bomb squad was sent to the scene, but “nothing hazardous or suspicious was found” after a search of the building’s interior and exterior, Procopio said. The search had ended by 6:40 p.m., he said.

    Vehicle traffic near the building was temporarily diverted during the search, Dedham police said.

    The incident remains under investigation.

    Boston 25 News announced on Twitter at 5:20 p.m. that a “threat” to the building had forced the station to stop its newscast.


    “We hope to be back on the air with our regular news & weather programming as soon as it’s safe to do so,” the station said.

    A Dedham police dispatcher said about five minutes later that it remained “an active scene” but declined to give further information.

    The situation was resolved almost an hour and a half later.

    “We are back in the building. Thanks to all for your patience... and many thanks to @DedhamPD. We’ll be back on with live news in a minute,” the station tweeted at 6:48 p.m.

    Station employees also used Twitter to provide updates on the situation. At 5:38 p.m., reporter Elysia Rodriguez tweeted that everyone “is safe, hoping to resume our newscasts as soon as possible.”


    Dalton Main, a station employee, said that Dedham police were already on the scene when employees were told to evacuate.

    Jacob Carozza can be reached at