Next Score View the next score

    Veteran who killed himself and son in Foxborough stole gun used in attack, official says

    The Iraq War veteran who fatally shot his 6-year-old son and then committed suicide nearly two months ago in Foxborough stole a handgun from a friend to commit the attack, the Norfolk district attorney’s office said Friday.

    Investigators used the serial number on the .45 caliber handgun to confirm that it had been taken from the home of William F. Scaccia Jr.’s friend, said David Traub, the district attorney’s spokesman.

    “We are satisfied that was the gun taken from that box,” said Traub, referring to the locked box used to store the firearm.


    William Scaccia, 49, fatally shot his son, Anthony at 11:30 p.m. on Sept. 21 before shooting himself, authorities said. The murder-suicide occurred at the home where Anthony lived with his mother, Laurie Tolliver. Scaccia also lit gasoline inside the house in an attempt to burn it down.

    Get Metro Headlines in your inbox:
    The 10 top local news stories from metro Boston and around New England delivered daily.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    A day after the violence, a lawyer for Scaccia’s friend called Foxborough police, saying his client believed Scaccia used his gun in the attack, according to State Police reports provided to The Boston Globe under a public records request.

    The friend, Shawn Devaney, said Scaccia unexpectedly showed up at his home the afternoon before the attack, the report said. During the visit, Devaney said Scaccia acted normally. They were separated for about 10 to 15 minutes while Devaney used a bathroom on the second floor, police said.

    After Devaney learned Sciacca had killed his son and committed suicide from Scaccia’s sister, who called him early on Sept. 22, Devaney unlocked his gun locker and found a .45 caliber handgun was missing.

    Devaney’s attorney, Lauren Balkcom, said Scaccia had deceived him.


    “This has had a profound effect on Mr. Devaney,” she said. “He’s devastated.”

    Devaney told investigators he had known Scaccia since 2004 when they were serving in the National Guard. They were deployed to Iraq, and Scaccia was a groomsman in Devaney’s wedding, the report said.

    The gun locker and the .45 caliber handgun belonged to Scaccia until 2013 when Norwood police revoked his license to carry, according to the report and court records. At that time, Norwood police transferred the gun locker and firearm to Devaney, Balkcom said. Investigators don’t know how Scaccia got a key to the gun locker, Traub said. Devaney told police he stored the key in a safe with a combination lock and Scaccia didn’t know the combination, the report said.

    Devaney is licensed to carry a firearm, the report said. Scaccia had sought to get his license to carry reinstated, but Foxborough police rejected his application in July, records show.

    Three days before the murder-suicide, police arrested Scaccia after his former girlfriend asked officers to remove one of his firearms from her home, according to a different police report. The woman made the request after Scaccia allegedly attacked her brother-in-law and brandished a knife, the report said.

    Relatives have said Scaccia struggled with depression following his military service in Iraq and failed to get adequate treatment.

    Laura Crimaldi can be reached at Follow her on Twitter @lauracrimaldi.