New England news blotter

■  ELECTRICAL FIRE A three-alarm fire that left a multifamily Chelsea residence uninhabitable early Sunday morning was sparked by an overloaded electrical circuit, Chelsea Fire Chief Leonard Albanese said. The fire, which broke out around 12:45 a.m. Sunday, displaced eight adults and two children from a three-story home at 43 Sagamore Ave. No one was injured. The fire was reported soon after it started, Albanese said, when people near the home rang the doorbell of a Chelsea fire station across the street.

■  BOAT BLAZE A 38-foot sport fishing boat was destroyed in a fire Sunday night in Falmouth, officials said. The boat — named “My Brother” — was a total loss, and other boats sustained heat damage, Falmouth Fire Captain Bruce Girouard said. The dock also caught fire and sustained moderate damage. Girouard said firefighters had the fire under control within a half-hour and there were no injuries. The cause of the fire is under investigation, he said.


■  BEAR ON LAM A bear nicknamed Big Ben has been spotted ambling around Chelmsford, raiding bird feeders and gaining fame on social media. Experts say he may be stocking up on grub before a long winter’s nap. “Don’t approach it, leave it alone, and generally it will wander right through,” Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife bear biologist David Wattles said. Chelmsford residents have been posting pictures and videos of their furry neighbor in a community news group on Facebook for days. After viewing some photos of the bear posted online, Wattles guessed that the burly bruin was a male that would tip the scales at 250 to 300 pounds.

■  CAR THIEF A man took a taxi to steal hundreds of dollars of merchandise Sunday evening from a sporting goods store in Saugus, then yanked the cabdriver out of the car and escaped in it, police said. The man stole three expensive jackets from the Dick’s Sporting Goods at Square One Mall Sunday and ran out of the store while being chased by another man about five minutes later, police said in a statement. The jackets are estimated to cost $879 total. The taxi driver tried to flee the parking lot when he saw his passenger being chased, but as he was pulling out of his spot, the suspect broke the driver’s-side window and attempted to enter the car and get “onto the driver’s lap,” police said. The suspect eventually managed to open the door using the interior handle, pulled the victim out of the cab, and drove away toward Essex Street, police said. The driver declined medical attention.