Bustling Maverick Square is named for Samuel Maverick, one of the state’s earliest settlers. When the Puritans arrived in 1630, Maverick was already living in what is today East Boston, in a small, fortified mansion on Noddle’s Island. (The island eventually was filled in and absorbed into the mainland.) By 1638, he had become one of the region’s first slave-owners. An Anglican and a royalist, he complained of persecution from Boston authorities. Today Maverick Square, known for its Salvadoran and Colombian restaurants and busy Blue Line T connection, is experiencing a residential development boom.
Sources: Friends of the Boston Harbor Islands; news reports