Next Score View the next score

    Duck hunters rescued in Lynn Harbor after boat engine quits

    A clutch of waterfowl hunters from Michigan were rescued from Lynn Harbor on Wednesday after the engine on their charter boat quit just as the rising tide began to cover the rocks they were standing on near the Black Rock Channel, officials said.

    When they were rescued, the six hunters were standing in chest-deep water near what some call Buoy 9 in the harbor, an area also marked as Black Rock on nautical charts. They were wearing waders but not any personal flotation devices.

    According to the US Coast Guard, the hunters were stranded on the edge of the Black Rock Channel, which is about 16 feet deep where they were. A 31-foot SAFE boat from the Massachusetts Environmental Police arrived on scene just as the Coast Guard was preparing to launch a rescue helicopter, officials said.


    “The hunters, all adults from Michigan, were on a duck hunting tour, and were dropped off by their guide on the rocky area containing Buoy 9 to hunt,’’ Katie Gronendyke, a spokesperson for Environmental Police, wrote in an e-mail. “The guide’s boat then broke down, and the hunters, who did not have life jackets, were stranded as the tide rose over the rocks.”

    Get Metro Headlines in your inbox:
    The 10 top local news stories from metro Boston and around New England delivered daily.
    Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

    No one was harmed.

    The charter boat captain stayed with the disabled boat that was eventually towed to shore by State Police. The name of the charter boat company was not immediately available Wednesday, officials said.

    The engine failure was not the only difficulty the charter boat operator had during the emergency.

    According to the Coast Guard, the operator used his cellphone to call the Coast Guard’s emergency operations center around 8 a.m., but he could not provide the rescue agency accurate information about his location.


    He was ordered to hang up and to call 911, a technology that then allowed first responders to narrow down his location and dispatch Environmental Police to the proper location, according to the Coast Guard.

    John R. Ellement can be reached at Follow him on Twitter @JREbosglobe.