An electrical short circuit sparked a three-alarm fire in East Boston on Sunday that left 20 people displaced, fire officials said.
Boston firefighter Marc Sanders said investigators tracked the short circuit to a third-floor living room ceiling in the building at 360 Meridian St.
The blaze broke out at 12:40 p.m. Sunday and took several hours to extinguish as flames raged between a drop ceiling and the actual ceiling, and firefighters had to deal with a frozen fire hydrant, officials said.
No injuries were reported. Sanders said a cat was rescued from the third floor, surviving the heavy flames and smoke.
Damage was estimated at $500,000.Mike Bello of the Globe staff contributed to this story.