One dead in double shooting in Back Bay, police say

Police investigators on the scene of the double-shooting in the Back Bay Saturday night. 01.13.18
Maddie Kilgannon for The Boston Globe
Police investigators on the scene of the double-shooting in the Back Bay Saturday night.

Two men in their twenties were shot in a car in Back Bay Saturday night, and one of them later died at a hospital, according to Boston police.

The second victim was taken to a hospital for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries, police said.

Police responded to Gloucester Street for a report of a double shooting just after 9:30 p.m., Superintendent Kevin Buckley said.


“Officers responded and found two adult males in a motor vehicle suffering from gunshot wounds,” Buckley said. “One of the males was transported to an area hospital, as was the other. One was pronounced deceased after being transported.”

Get Metro Headlines in your inbox:
The 10 top local news stories from metro Boston and around New England delivered daily.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Police investigators blocked off a stretch of Gloucester Street, between Newbury and Boylston streets.

Gloucester and Boylston streets are expected to be closed to traffic for several more hours, Buckley told reporters at the scene just after 11 p.m.

Earlier, police investigators were seen searching a silver sedan with flashlights on Gloucester Street. Buckley confirmed that was the car where police found the victims.

Homicide detectives interviewed witnesses Saturday night, Buckley said. He said police had “nothing in terms of suspects” and encouraged anyone with information on the shooting to call 1-800-494-TIPS (8477).


The shooting in the heart of the neighborhood of fashionable residences, restaurants, and retail shops shocked patrons and residents.

One resident, who identified herself only by her first name of Andrea, was having dinner with her parents when a neighbor called alerting her to the shooting.

She returned to her apartment, where she has lived for about a year and a half. Police allowed her to cross the crime scene tape so that she could retrieve some belongings for the night. She was escorted out again.

Andrea said police told her the shooting was “likely an isolated incident” but could not confirm when she would be able to get back into her apartment.

Police at the scene would not comment on the investigation.


A valet at Hynes Convention Center, about a block away, said he heard about four gunshots at around 9:30 p.m.

Shoppers from the nearby Prudential Center and restaurant and bar patrons seemed stunned by the shooting on a busy weekend night.

A handful of people stood outside Whiskey’s smoking cigarettes, right at the edge of the police tape on the corner of Gloucester and Boylston. They declined to talk to reporters.

One man, who stood at the door of the bar, said he heard shots but did not see anything.

Some people asked officers when they would be able to get to their cars that were parked in the crime scene.

Police did not give an answer but instead said it was an active crime scene.

The manager at Cafeteria, a restaurant directly across the street from the scene on Newbury Street, said patrons were glued to the New England Patriots-Tennessee Titans playoff game at the time of the shooting. No one in the restaurant reported hearing anything over the sound of the football game, he said.

Martha Schick can be reached at Follow her on Twitter @MarthaSchick.