fb-pixel Skip to main content

Boston police arrest 3 and seize 4 guns in less than 6 hours

The black 9mm Sig Sauer handgun recovered from a Stoughton man in Mattapan Saturday night.Boston Police Department

Officers confiscated four firearms and arrested three males on gun-related charges in a six-hour span this weekend, Boston police said in a statement.

The guns were seized in four different incidents across Mattapan and the South End late Saturday night and early Sunday morning, adding to the more than 50 firearms already recovered by Boston police in 2018.

“I continue to be impressed by my officers’ courage and never-ending commitment to keeping our city safe,” Boston Police Commissioner William Evans said in the statement. “Taking four guns off the streets is a significant achievement that most certainly makes our community safer and I applaud my officers for the dedication and devotion that goes into protecting our city while bravely confronting those who think it’s okay to carry unlawful firearms in our community.”


The first gun was recovered after police chased down a suspect in Mattapan Saturday night. Officers first approached a man believed to be in possession of a firearm in the area of Ames Street and Ames Way around 7 p.m., at which point he tried to run away from the officers, police said.

Officers pursued the man, later identified as Jerion Moore, 19, of Stoughton, and saw him “reaching for and grabbing a firearm” in his right jacket pocket, police said. An officer then told Moore to drop the gun, but Moore continued running.

Following “a lengthy foot pursuit,” Moore was found and subdued in the area of 81 Floyd St., but officers did not find a gun on him. Police then retraced Moore’s steps and found the firearm, a loaded black 9mm Sig Sauer handgun, along a fence in a neighboring yard in the area of 89 Floyd St.

Moore was arrested and charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and carrying a loaded firearm on a public way.


The second gun was recovered later that night in the South End, after officers saw an individual believed to be the subject of a no trespass order enter a housing complex building at 35 Brannon-Harris Way around 9:25 p.m.

Officers followed the individual into the building and spoke with them, before allowing them to leave the area. While still inside the building, officers received information on a weapon “possibly hidden inside one of common areas,” police said. Officers then searched the area and located a loaded Ruger SR45 pistol “tucked into a void or hole” in a common hallway. The firearm was confiscated, and the incident remains under investigation.

The third firearm was seized around 12:44 a.m. Sunday in the area of Hiawatha Road, when officers acting on information related to an individual possibly in possession of a firearm saw a person matching the description of that individual.

Officers then approached the man, known to them from past interactions, and attempted to talk to him. The man, later identified as John Lewis, 25, of Boston, ignored the officers.

Lewis was then frisked, and officers found a loaded firearm on him. Police then searched Lewis and found a plastic bag of heroin.

Lewis was arrested and charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, carrying a loaded firearm on a public way, unlawful possession of a firearm (3rd offense), and possession with intent to distribute Class A drug (heroin).

The fourth firearm was seized after officers patrolling in the area of 480 Norfolk St. heard “what sounded like gunshots” around 12:54 a.m. Sunday, police said. The officers immediately exited their cruiser and saw a male “walking in a hurried fashion.”


Officers approached the male, a 16-year-old boy, and asked if he had heard the gunshots. The boy, “who appeared to be nervous,” said he did not.

Officers noticed a heavy object in the boy’s jacket pocket while speaking with him, and asked if he was in possession of a firearm. The boy then “became visibly anxious and began breathing heavily,” police said.

The officers then frisked him and recovered a silver firearm with two live rounds of ammunition. The boy was arrested and charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, unlawful possession of ammunition, and carrying a loaded firearm on a public way.

Ben Thompson can be reached at ben.thompson@globe.com.