fb-pixel

Fugitive murder suspect found hiding in secret drawer in Lynn home

Massachusetts State Police
The murder suspect found hiding in a secret drawer in Lynn was captured in a residence belonging to immediate family members, a house that Lynn police detectives visited earlier this month in their search for the reputed street gang leader, officials said Monday.

Steven C. Touch was captured in the Empire Street home on Tuesday after an investigation by local, state, and federal law enforcement agencies who have collectively been searching for the 28-year-old murder suspect for five years.

Touch was identified by law enforcement as the leader of an offshoot of the Young Bloods street gang. He is charged with murder for allegedly participating in a July 2, 2012, armed home invasion in Billerica that left 22-year-old Quintin E. Koehler dead. Touch allegedly provided transportation to the site of the home invasion.

Touch was ordered held without bail at an arraignment hearing Wednesday in Middlesex Superior Court, according to a statement from the Middlesex County district attorney’s office. In addition to murder, he was also charged with home invasion, attempt to commit armed robbery, and conspiracy.

Advertisement



Touch was indicted with two other men in 2017, but remained at large until Tuesday. His capture came after he was added to the State Police Most Wanted list. The FBI also offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to his arrest.

The FBI said in a statement that no one earned the reward money, an indication that it was law enforcement investigation that led to Touch’s capture.

According to Lynn police, detectives have been looking for Touch and earlier in January had visited the Empire Street home where immediate family members live.

State Police said in a statement they obtained a search warrant that they used to enter the Empire Street home on Tuesday, where they found Touch hiding in a drawer built into a bed.

Last December, Adam Bradley, the man Middlesex District Attorney Marian T. Ryan’s office identified as the person who planned the home invasion, was sentenced to life imprisonment without parole after being convicted of first-degree murder for Koehler’s death.

The man who fired the fatal shot, Jason Estabrook, was convicted of first-degree murder, as was Peter Bin of Peabody for their roles in what prosecutors have called an effort to “terrorize the residents and enrich themselves with money and marijuana.”

Advertisement



Touch will be back in court March 23.


John R. Ellement can be reached at ellement@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @JREbosglobe.