fb-pixel Skip to main content

Man shot, killed by Reading police

The shooting scene in Reading.Jacob Carozza for The Boston Globe

A Reading police officer shot and killed a 43-year-old man Saturday afternoon who had fled from police following a report of a domestic assault, according to Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan’s office.

The man, who was not identified pending notification of next of kin, was taken to Lahey Hospital & Medical Center in Burlington, where he was pronounced dead, the office said in a statement late Saturday night.

Police responded around 3:45 p.m. to a report of an assault at a home on Main Street involving the man and a household member. The man was inside when officers arrived, but the “reporting victim” was no longer there.


The home was dead-bolted from the inside. Police gained entrance, but the man again fled, the district attorney’s office said.

Multiple officers searched for the man, and at about 4:33 p.m., “shots were fired by a Reading Officer wounding the male,” the statement said.

The officer was also taken to an area hospital, treated, and released.

Police had also been at the home Friday night to respond to a reported altercation involving the man, but he fled by the time officers arrived, and they were unable to find the man Friday night, officials said.

The shooting is being investigated by the Middlesex district attorney’s office, State Police assigned to the district attorney’s office, and Reading police.

“The facts and circumstances surrounding this incident are still under investigation,” the statement said.

The district attorney’s office did not say where the shooting occurred, but a crime scene was established Saturday at East Coast Gas & Auto Repair at 1462 Main St., a two-pump station attached to a white two-story house.

Several officers were on scene Saturday night, and the area was sealed off with yellow crime scene tape. An adjacent lot filled with vehicles was also blocked.


At least a dozen police vehicles, some with flashing blue lights, were parked in front of the property around 7 p.m.

Bright lights illuminated the station and two-story house located on a rural stretch of Main Street.

Banners reading “Boston Strong” and “Let’s Go Pats” were hung above the building’s entrance, and a TV showing the local news could be seen through a window.

Globe correspondent Maddie Kilgannon contributed to this report. Jacob Carozza can be reached at jacob.carozza@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @jacobcarozza.