Mashpee firefighters quickly extinguished a small blaze started by heating cables in the attic of an unoccupied marijuana dispensary Friday morning, officials said.
The dispensary at 29 Echo Road is still going through approvals and has not opened, so there was no product stored yet, fire Chief Thomas Rullo said. It’s owned by Triple M Management, formerly known as Medical Marijuana of Massachusetts, according to the town’s assessing records, and was scheduled to have its final Department of Public Health inspection Friday before opening, State Fire Department spokeswoman Jennifer Mieth said in a statement.
“It’s basically empty,” Rullo said. “It has computers and they were setting up, but they’re still waiting on some last-minute things.”
The Fire Department was alerted to the fire by a passerby who saw light smoke coming from the one-story wood structure at 6:38 a.m., Rullo said. Nobody was in the building at the time.
“It didn’t generate enough heat to trip a detector in the attic,” he said. “It flamed up for a period of time, but we extinguished it pretty quickly.”
The fire started in a ceiling void space and was caused by newly installed heating cables that ignited nearby cellulose insulation, Mieth said.
The dispensary is a “brand new” structure on a commercial road next to several other industrial buildings. Rullo said he believed its construction was finished sometime in the last six months.
Property damages are estimated at $25,000, Mieth said.
Cost-cutting pressures are especially acute for an organization like Partners, which charges among the highest prices in the state for medical services and runs a costly research and teaching operation.Continue reading »
The fashion industry is built on glamour and allure, but many models, especially the very young, know it for something else: sexual exploitation and abuse.Continue reading »
If you take two recent examples — one local, one national — you will see the reason we as Bostonians and as Americans very much need to talk about race.Continue reading »
A sleek, relatively new vaping device called a “Juul” has school administrators sending warning e-mails home.Continue reading »
Elementary school principal Tom Daniels announced earlier this month that she would henceforth be known as Shannon.Continue reading »
Parkland. Las Vegas. Sutherland Springs. Newtown. On and on: In America, mass shootings have become so familiar that they seem to follow the same sad script.Continue reading »
A Chelsea physician writes of the importance — and rewards — of treating opioid addiction in primary care.Continue reading »
Andover High School students participated in a sit-in Friday afternoon to discuss gun violence in America and how the government has been handling it.Continue reading »
The fast-moving five-alarm blaze demolished the landmark Sozio store on Route 60 in Revere on Saturday.Continue reading »