Mashpee firefighters quickly extinguished a small blaze started by heating cables in the attic of an unoccupied marijuana dispensary Friday morning, officials said.
The dispensary at 29 Echo Road is still going through approvals and has not opened, so there was no product stored yet, fire Chief Thomas Rullo said. It’s owned by Triple M Management, formerly known as Medical Marijuana of Massachusetts, according to the town’s assessing records, and was scheduled to have its final Department of Public Health inspection Friday before opening, State Fire Department spokeswoman Jennifer Mieth said in a statement.
“It’s basically empty,” Rullo said. “It has computers and they were setting up, but they’re still waiting on some last-minute things.”
The Fire Department was alerted to the fire by a passerby who saw light smoke coming from the one-story wood structure at 6:38 a.m., Rullo said. Nobody was in the building at the time.
“It didn’t generate enough heat to trip a detector in the attic,” he said. “It flamed up for a period of time, but we extinguished it pretty quickly.”
The fire started in a ceiling void space and was caused by newly installed heating cables that ignited nearby cellulose insulation, Mieth said.
The dispensary is a “brand new” structure on a commercial road next to several other industrial buildings. Rullo said he believed its construction was finished sometime in the last six months.
Property damages are estimated at $25,000, Mieth said.Elise Takahama can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow her on Twitter @elisetakahama.