fb-pixel;

One suspect in January Roxbury murder was wearing GPS device at time of arrest

Boston police on the scene of the Jan. 11 shooting in Roxbury.
Boston police on the scene of the Jan. 11 shooting in Roxbury.David L. Ryan/Globe Staff

Two men accused of the January shooting death of a 22-year-old Revere man in Roxbury were already facing gun charges in unrelated cases, including one who was free on bail and wearing a GPS monitoring device at the time of his arrest Saturday, according to law enforcement officials.

On Jan. 11, police said Alexander Mervin was shot in the area of 31 Whittier St. shortly before 2 p.m.

Boston police’s Fugitive Apprehension Unit tracked down one suspect, Jerion Moore, 19, of Stoughton, in the area of 40 Stratton St. in Dorchester Saturday, police said in a statement posted to the department’s website Sunday.

Advertisement



At the time of Moore’s arrest on Saturday, he was wearing a GPS monitoring device in connection with his own Jan. 27 gun charge and was free on bail, said Jake Wark, a spokesman for the Suffolk district attorney’s office, in an e-mail to the Globe.

A second suspect, Nicholas Sicellon, 18, of Dorchester, was also charged with Mervin’s murder, police said. He was already in custody on an unrelated case.

Moore is expected to be arraigned in Roxbury District Court on the murder charge Monday, police said. Sicellon will probably be arraigned on the murder charge at a later date, Wark said.

Sicellon was being held following his Jan. 29 arrest on charges that include two counts of unlawful possession of a firearm, Wark said.

Sicellon allegedly tossed one gun away during a foot chase with police, and had another in his waistband when he was arrested, Wark said. Both guns had been reported stolen.

Police did not release a motive for Mervin’s shooting on Sunday.

The day Mervin was shot, officers assigned to District B-2 were on foot patrol, heard the gunfire around 1:46 p.m., and located Mervin, who was suffering from gunshot wounds. He was taken to Brigham and Women’s Hospital, where he later died.

Advertisement



On Sunday, Boston police Commissioner William Evans thanked homicide detectives for their work investigating the case.

“The long hours and meticulous attention to detail as it relates to homicide investigations cannot be understated. Thanks to their work, a dangerous felon is behind bars and our community is safer as a result,” Evans said in the statement. “More than anything else, it is my sincere hope that news of today’s arrest brings with it some small measure of comfort and closure to the family and friends of Alexander Mervin.”

The Whittier Street shooting was the city’s first homicide in 2018, and occurred less than an hour before the killing of Shaquille Browder, 21, in the parking lot of a Burger King located at the corner of Washington Street and Columbia Road in Dorchester at about 2:10 p.m.

The shootings are unrelated, according to police, who charged 31-year-old Kyle Williams in Browder’s death.

The spate of violence has continued: Early Saturday morning, a man in his 30s was gunned down on Hartford Street. The shooting was the city’s 16th homicide this year, up from 10 during the same period in 2017, police have said.

No arrests have been made in the Hartford Street shooting and police have not publicly identified the victim, said Officer Stephen McNulty, a Boston police spokesman, in an e-mail Sunday.


John Hilliard can be reached at john.hilliard@globe.com.