Middleborough standoff ends with man found dead

A seven-hour standoff in Middleborough between police and a man who barricaded himself inside a home has ended with the man being found dead in what authorities believe is a suicide, according to police.

Earlier on Wednesday, Middleborough police asked residents and workers in a section of the town to shelter in place after an armed fugitive shot at police, according to a spokesman for the department.

Middleborough police said in a statement that John Mann, 38, was found dead from what they believe was a self-inflicted gunshot wound after police entered the home following the standoff Wednesday.


Mann opened fire with a long gun after Middleborough police and Plymouth County sheriff’s deputies arrived at 469 Wareham St. around 9:30 a.m. to serve an arrest warrant on him, spokesman Benjamin Paulin said.

Get Metro Headlines in your inbox:
The 10 top local news stories from metro Boston and around New England delivered daily.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Mann allegedly fired one round at a K-9 officer who was at the rear of the home, police said in a statement. Mann then barricaded himself inside the home.

No one was hit by the gunfire, and police took cover, established a perimeter around the home, and began working to negotiate the fugitive’s surrender, Paulin said. Officers requested mutual assistance from the Southeastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council SWAT Team.

Police had asked those in the area along Route 28, or Wareham Street, between Locust Street and Interstate 495 to stay indoors, he said, and they closed Wareham Street in both directions between Spruce Street and the interstate.

A reverse 911 call was sent to local residents advising them to shelter in place and avoid the area, according to police.


Authorities made several attempts at contacting Mann but were unsuccessful, according to police.

Law enforcement officials eventually entered the house, where they found Mann’s body on the first floor. Mann was unresponsive and pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

Inside the home, police found a rifle and two handguns.

Officials were searching the home Wednesday evening. The investigation is ongoing.

Correspondent Jeremy Fox contributed. Danny McDonald can be reached at Follow him on Twitter @danny__mcdonald.