Hyannis man taunts Barnstable police officers about death of Sean Gannon

Barnstable police department
Shaune Wittenmeyer.

A police call about a disorderly customer at a Barnstable pizza shop turned ugly on Friday when the man taunted the responding officers about the recent slaying of Yarmouth Police Officer Sean Gannon, according to Barnstable police.

Police officers were called to a Domino’s Pizza in Hyannis around 10:40 p.m. Friday where Shaune Wittenmeyer, 42, was arguing with the store’s employees over his “pizza points,” according to a police statement. Police say the Hyannis man smelled strongly of alcohol and when he was asked to wait outside, he began knocking pizza boxes out of a delivery person’s hands.

The taunting began after the officers placed Wittenmeyer under arrest for intoxication and disorderly conduct. As one officer tried to restrain him, the suspect said he wished he was the “dead cop,” referring to Gannon, who was fatally shot when serving a warrant in Marstons Mills last month. When Wittenmeyer noticed his comment bothered the officers, he allegedly laughed and asked, “What are you going to do about it? Freedom of speech right?”


Gannon, 32, was shot in the head on April 12 by Thomas Latanowich when Gannon arrived at his home to serve his probation warrant. Gannon, who had been an officer for eight years, was well-liked and described as a future chief of police by his peers. On April 17, thousands of officers and residents lined the streets in Yarmouth to express condolences as Gannon’s body was carried to St. Pius X Church for a highly-publicized funeral service.

Get Metro Headlines in your inbox:
The 10 top local news stories from metro Boston and around New England delivered daily.
Thank you for signing up! Sign up for more newsletters here

Barnstable police eventually placed Wittenmeyer in a holding cell, but officials say he refused to comply with any requests or attempts to calm him. Police also charged him with intimidating a witness.

Wittenmeyer’s driver’s license had been suspended for not paying child support, so police say they are investigating how he arrived at the Domino’s. A vehicle associated with the suspect was found in the store’s parking lot, but the officers did not see him driving.

Wittenmeyer was released on $500 cash bail and is expected to be arraigned in Barnstable District Court on Monday.

Debora Almeida can be reached at