A Suffolk County jury Wednesday found the Boston Red Sox and the team’s principal owner, John W. Henry, weren’t negligent in a case involving a Brookline woman injured by a foul ball at Fenway Park in 2014.
Jurors in Suffolk Superior Court sided with the Red Sox and Henry, who also owns The Boston Globe, by rendering a verdict of no negligence in the lawsuit brought by Stephanie Taubin, according to the clerk’s office.
A lawyer for Taubin, 49, didn’t immediately return a call seeking comment. Taubin was in the area above home plate at a Red Sox home game in June 2014 when she was struck by a foul ball, which caused facial fractures and neurological damage, according to her complaint. Taubin had sought $9.5 million, according to court records.
Zineb Curran, a spokeswoman for the Red Sox, said the team welcomed the jury’s verdict.
“While we regret the injury Ms. Taubin sustained, we are pleased with today’s outcome,” Curran said in an e-mail. “The Dell/EMC Club is a safe and enjoyable area from which to watch a Red Sox game. Many of our valued fans, guests, and family and friends have enjoyed the space and return to it time and again.”
Curran added that fan safety “is an issue we take seriously, and since 2014, we have twice expanded our protective netting, and continue to evaluate the safety of all seating areas within the ballpark. We thank the jury and the court for their service in this matter.”
Henry earlier this month testified during the civil trial and acknowledged the club had removed glass that had previously shielded a section now known as the Dell EMC Club that is above grandstand seats behind home plate at Fenway, according to WCVB.
“We took the glass off, we took the seats out, we just gutted it,” he said, according to WCVB footage.
Henry was asked whether he agreed the area behind home plate became more dangerous after the glass was removed.
“Yes,” he said, according to the WCVB report.Travis Andersen can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe.