Jim Davis/Globe Staff/File
A 49-year-old Methuen man has died and a 47-year-old Methuen woman was listed in critical condition after several swimmers were rescued — some by a good Samaritan visiting from Boston — from a rip current Sunday off Seabrook Beach in New Hampshire, officials said.
The pair from Massachusetts were both given CPR and sent to nearby hospitals for treatment, according to a statement from the New Hampshire State Police on Sunday night. Officials did not provide further information about the victims’ identities.
Several police departments responded to a call around 12:30 p.m. reporting six swimmers “struggling in the water” off the beach near 131 Ocean Drive, according to a Sunday afternoon statement from deputy chief Brett Walker.
Four of the six swimmers were not injured, but two swimmers were unconscious when they were brought to shore, according to State Police.
“At this time it appears that choppy water conditions may have been a factor in this incident; however, all aspects remain under investigation,” State Police said.
Matt Tomaszewski, a 29-year-old from Boston, told the Globe in a phone interview Sunday night that he was visiting with his family, sitting on an Ocean Drive porch overlooking the beach, when he heard people in the water screaming for help. He ran out with his father and then swam into the water by himself, and helped two people to shore using a paddle board.
“I got them both on the board. . . and pushed with everything I had,” he said.
He said he tried to help a third man, who appeared to be unconscious, but a large wave swept the man out of sight.
Tomaszewski said that even though he is athletic, “nothing could have prepared me for that.”
“It was the toughest thing I’ve ever been through,” he said.
Resuscitation efforts on the two swimmers were still in progress when they were taken to local hospitals, according to Kassandra Lee, a dispatcher at the Seabrook Fire Department.
The Methuen woman was taken to Portsmouth Regional Hospital with life-threatening injuries, State Police said. The Methuen man — who Walker said was the last swimmer rescued, at 12:59 p.m. — was taken to Anna Jaques Hospital in Newburyport.
State Police Marine Patrol, the US Coast Guard, the Seabrook police and fire departments, and the Hampton Fire Department all responded to the incident.
Rescue efforts were also assisted by Hampton Beach lifeguards, who responded with a rescue boat and jet skis, according to Walker. Seabrook Beach, which is not staffed with lifeguards, is just south of Hampton Beach.
The scene was cleared at 1:40 p.m., Lee said.
Shortly after the rescue, Seabrook police urged visitors not to swim at the beach due to “dangerous currents.” Andrew Barresi, a Coast Guard spokesman, said Sunday night that the strong currents were indeed a rip current.
Victor Pena, accused of kidnapping Olivia Ambrose, sobbed and appeared to be talking to himself during a court appearance where he was ordered to undergo a 20-day mental competency evaluation.Continue reading »
The discovery of the 23-year-old followed high-profile pleas for help from her family and friends.Continue reading »
Olivia Ambrose, the 23-year-old woman who went missing after leaving a downtown Boston bar on Saturday night, was found alive Tuesday, and a suspect has been arrested.Continue reading »
A Globe Magazine report detailed the fortunes of Boston’s high school valedictorians between 2005 and 2007. The picture it paints of the city’s public schools isn’t flattering.Continue reading »
Maria Fernandez, the 13-year-old missing since earlier this month, has been safely located, Boston police said Wednesday morning.Continue reading »
If lying about someone online is a misdemeanor in New Hampshire, how has the state been holding presidential primaries without exhausting its supply of handcuffs?Continue reading »
Liz Smith knows this: A little girl opened a little door into her heart.Continue reading »
A section of Walford Way, located within the sprawling Bunker Hill Housing Development, was cordoned off with yellow police tape Tuesday afternoon.Continue reading »
Governor Charlie Baker is slated Wednesday to unveil his budget plan for fiscal year 2020 and his much-anticipated take on overhauling the state’s 26-year-old school funding formula.Continue reading »