fb-pixel

A man was bitten by a 6-foot-long boa constrictor in Hyannis Monday evening after he tried to pick it up, officials said.

The 20-year-old man was walking through a wooded area near Hiramar Road when he saw the reptile and decided to pick it up, wanting to take it with him. When he grabbed the snake to put it in his bucket, it bit him on the arm. It appears the snake was in the middle of digesting something, Hyannis Fire Captain Hans Kristofferson said.

“He pulled the snake off his arm and continued to bring the snake home,” Kristofferson said.

Advertisement



The man called police about an hour after he was bitten, when his arm started to become swollen. He told police he thought he saw a fang embedded in his arm, Kristofferson said.

The man was taken to Cape Cod Hospital for treatment, and the snake was turned over to an animal control officer, Kristofferson said.

Boa constrictors are not native to the region. Officials believe the snake may have been someone’s pet at some point. Boas are not venomous, but they are known for wrapping themselves around their prey, crushing them until they can no longer breathe. A bite from one could lead to an infection, Kristofferson said.

The man has been released from the hospital, Kristofferson said.


Andres Picon can be reached at andres.picon@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter at @andpicon.