fb-pixel

Wellesley DPW employee survives being shocked while cutting tree

A Wellesley town worker was shocked by electricity and survived Tuesday morning when he made contact with a high-voltage power line while cutting down a tree, officials said.

The man was conscious and alert as he was transported to Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center for treatment, according to Wellesley Deputy Fire Chief James Dennehy.

The man, an employee for the Wellesley Department of Public Works, had been working on cutting down a tree at the intersection of Forest Street and Laurel Avenue when either he or the elevated “bucket” he was in made contact with the wires, Dennehy said.

“Initially, he was down in the bucket and we couldn’t see him,” Dennehy said. “Workers on the ground assumed the truck was hot, so they couldn’t move the truck.”

Advertisement



After the shock, the worker was able to lower the bucket himself and safely reach the ground. First responders arrived shortly after 9 a.m., and paramedics who were evaluating him said he seemed to be in good condition, Dennehy said.

A DPW spokeswoman said the department did not have any information available on the incident.


Andres Picon can be reached at andres.picon@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter at @andpicon.