fb-pixel‘Gun battle’ erupts in Cambridge - The Boston Globe Skip to main content

‘Gun battle’ erupts in Cambridge

Cambridge police arrested one suspect Thursday afternoon after a “gun battle” that sent one person to the hospital with minor injuries erupted in the Cambridgeport neighborhood of the city and moved toward Central Square, officials said.

At about 2:35 p.m. shots were exchanged between people in two vehicles in the area of Sidney and Chestnut streets, Cambridge Police Commissioner Branville G. Bard Jr. told reporters on Thursday.

“We had a moving gun battle erupt here,” he said.

The gun battle moved toward Central Square and drew the attention of an off-duty Cambridge police officer, who was on his way to work and radio-ed in what he saw, officials said. Cambridge police in marked vehicles chased one of the vehicles, a black sedan.


The chase ended in traffic on Edwin H. Land Boulevard, about two miles east of where the shooting took place, police said.

One of the people in the car was suffering from a “superficial” gun shot wound to the top of the head, said Bard. That individual, a man in his 20s, was not charged as of 7:45 p.m., said Jeremy Warnick, a Cambridge police spokesman.

The other person in the car, Ladjuan Guichard, a 20-year-old Roslindale resident, was arrested, said Warnick. Guichard, who used to live in Cambridge, faces charges including discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a building and carrying a firearm without a license, according to police.

A witness told authorities that a gun was thrown from a car that matched the description of the black sedan on Memorial Drive. The gun, which was recovered by police, was flung in the direction of the Charles River, said Warnick.

Police are seeking more information about the second vehicle involved in the incident.

Danny McDonald can be reached at daniel.mcdonald@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @danny__mcdonald. Andres Picon can be reached atandres.picon@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter at @andpicon.