Prosecutors, police appeal for help in slaying of Andover couple seven years ago

Geraldine and John Magee
Geraldine and John Magee(Family photo courtesy of Essex DA’s office)

Essex County prosecutors Friday renewed their public appeal for information leading to the capture of the person or persons who gunned down a construction executive and his wife inside the couple’s Andover home seven years ago.

The appeal from District Attorney Jonathan W. Blodgett’s office came on the seventh anniversary of the slayings of John and Geraldine Magee. Their adult daughter found them shot to death inside their house at 7 Orchard Crossing on the morning of Dec. 14, 2011.

John Magee, 69, owned and operated Magee Construction with his son, also named John. Geraldine Magee, 67, volunteered for various charitable groups and doted on her grandchildren. The couple’s daughter, Holly, was bringing her children to her parents’ home when she discovered them slain, officials said.


No suspects have ever been publicly identified, nor have authorities disclosed any possible motives for the double murder. The couple’s Lexus SUV was found torched in Boston’s North End the night before the killings.

“We remain optimistic that the person or persons responsible for this senseless murder will be identified and held accountable. We have not given up nor will we,” Blodgett said in a statement. “It is our belief that someone knows something that could help us solve the case and bring justice and peace of mind to the Magee family and the residents of Andover.”

The killings roiled Andover, an affluent town north of Boston, which had seen just one prior murder in the preceding two decades.

On Friday, Andover Police Chief Patrick Keefe said his department hasn’t wavered in its resolve to crack the case.

“The Andover Police Department remains committed to finding the person or persons responsible for taking the lives of John and Geraldine Magee,” Keefe said. “We are asking people to search their memories and consciences and come forward with any information that they may have.”


According to prosecutors, John Magee visited a Reading construction site the day before the murders. His son was in a basement office in his parents’ home until about 4:30 p.m. that day, looking up information about supplies he needed, authorities have said.

Meanwhile, Geraldine Magee, who went by Geri, had spoken with Holly about watching the grandchildren the next day, so Holly could go Christmas shopping, according to Blodgett’s office.

Geri Magee’s daughter arrived with her children the following morning and made the horrific discovery, sparking a wide-ranging probe that his taken investigators across state lines and included interviews of family, friends, neighbors, and business associates.

In addition, prosecutors said, authorities have scoured the couples’ computers, homes, cars, and financial records. In addition to their Andover residence, the Magees also owned a home in Jupiter, Fla.

“Investigators have followed leads to 4 states and 20 cities and towns in the Greater Boston area,” Blodgett’s office said in a release. “Massachusetts State Police Crime Scene Services, Ballistics, Violent Fugitive Apprehension Unit, and Special Services, local police departments in Worcester, Boston, Hampton, NH and Jupiter, FL as well as the FBI, ATF and Homeland Security have provided assistance.”

Anyone with information about the killings is urged to call State Police detectives assigned to Blodgett’s office at 978-745-8908 or the Andover police anonymous tip line at 978-470-3864.

Peter Schworm of the Globe Staff contributed to this report. Travis Andersen can be reached at Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe.