fb-pixel Skip to main content

1 person killed in Jamaica Plain double shooting

Police cordoned off the crime scene on Friday.
Police cordoned off the crime scene on Friday.Danny McDonald/Globe Staff

Two men were shot, one fatally, as a gun battle erupted on a busy Jamaica Plain street in broad daylight Friday afternoon.

The incident happened around 3:30 p.m. near 3100 Washington St., in the Egleston Square area. Boston Police Commissioner William G. Gross said the two men, both in their late 30s, were involved in some kind of verbal dispute or altercation that preceded the gunfire.

Gross said the surviving victim was in critical condition Friday evening. He said investigators found two guns at the scene.

The slaying marks Boston’s fourth homicide of the year.

The shooting happened in what is typically a bustling thoroughfare during rush hour. A market, nail salon, jewelry store, liquor store, multiple barbershops, and at least one restaurant were all inside the area cordoned off by police.


Suffolk District Attorney Rachael Rollins, who spoke alongside Gross at the scene, said she was outraged by the outbreak of violence during a time when so many people were around.

“There were children here. This is a neighborhood. This is a community. People deserve to be safe here,” Rollins said.

Gross said it was not clear whether the two men knew each other before the argument and the shooting. He said police are trying to gather information through video surveillance and by talking to as many witnesses as possible. He implored people to come forward if they know anything.

“We have to make our neighborhoods as safe as we can,” Gross said. “Those individuals that aren’t getting it, we owe them no allegiance. So let’s work together, make sure we can avoid these tragedies and prevent them.”

Rosana Rivera, 53, who owns Latino Beauty Salon near the crime scene, said she heard about a dozen gunshots before a customer came into the shop, clearly shaken.

The customer, according to Rivera, said her Uber ride, a Honda Pilot, had its back window shot out during the gun battle. Rivera said she comforted the woman.


“I’m very happy that the lady is OK, that was my major concern,” she said. “She’s blessed to be alive.”

Daisy Rosario, a 45-year-old dispatcher for Asthar, a cab company located near the scene of the shooting, said she heard gunfire and then saw a group of people running down Washington Street. Some ducked behind cars for cover, she said.

Despite the business having bulletproof windows facing Washington Street, Rosario said she hid under her desk.

“It was crazy,” said Rosario, a Roslindale resident. “This area is getting worse and worse and worse every day.”

Melissa Soiles, a 31-year-old who lives in the neighborhood and works at a pizza shop in Egleston Square, said she was stuck in a Chinese food restaurant in the aftermath of the shooting while police secured the crime scene.

“I was scared because I’m pregnant,” she said.

Michael Bello of the Globe staff contributed to this report.