fb-pixel Skip to main content

A timeline of events in the disappearance of 23-year-old Olivia Ambrose

Olivia Ambrose.

After being missing for three days, 23-year-old Olivia Ambrose of Jamaica Plain was found alive Tuesday in Charlestown.

Here’s a timeline of Ambrose’s disappearance and the investigation that ensued, according to information from Boston police.


• Saturday evening: Olivia Ambrose went to Hennessy’s, a bar near Faneuil Hall in downtown Boston, with her twin sister, Franny, and some friends to see a rock band that was performing that night. Olivia left the bar separately, her sister said.

• 11:04 p.m.: Ambrose was seen leaving Hennessy’s at 25 Union St. with a white male, who has since been determined not to be involved in her disappearance, Boston police said.


• 11:42 p.m.: Two unknown males were observed inviting Ambrose to walk with them in the area of Congress and State streets. One of the males appeared to walk ahead while the second male — shown in pictures Boston police posted Tuesday — placed his arm around Ambrose and directed her towards the MBTA’s State Street Station.


• 12:01 a.m.: Additional video shows Ambrose being accompanied by the same male, still with his arm around her, as they exited the MBTA’s Bunker Hill Community Station in Charlestown, according to Boston police. The other male was no longer observed in any surveillance video moving forward, police said.

• 12:13 a.m.: Ambrose and the male were observed again in the area of Green Street walking together toward Bartlett Street, Boston police said. A short time later, phone records indicate Ambrose’s phone was in the general area of the Bunker Hill Housing Development, police said.

• Franny Ambrose reported her twin as missing Sunday when she didn’t answer phone calls. “There was no way to tell if she had just been in an Uber or what happened,” Franny said in an interview Monday.



• A Facebook page was posted Monday to spread the word about Olivia’s disappearance.

• 3:50 p.m.: Boston police tweeted a photo of Ambrose along with a missing person alert. In a statement, police said Ambrose was last seen around 10 p.m. Saturday near 25 Union St., and that she was last seen wearing a red corduroy dress under a long white and gray coat.


• 2 p.m.: Boston police posted a statement saying they were seeking a person of interest in the Ambrose case. They uploaded two photos of a man in a T station and asked that anyone with information on his identity call police.

• 3 p.m.: The Globe received word that Ambrose was found alive in Charlestown.

• 3:30 p.m.: Police said Ambrose had been taken to an area hospital for evaluation.

• Around 5 p.m.: Officials told the Globe that a suspect had been arrested in connection with Ambrose’s disappearance. The man was arrested on Walford Way in Charlestown Tuesday afternoon, an official said. Her disappearance was an apparent abduction, according to law enforcement officials. Investigators were working to determine what happened to Ambrose since she went missing.

• Tuesday night: Boston police identified Victor Pena, 38, as the suspect, and said he faces a kidnapping charge but that additional charges could follow. Boston Police Commissioner William Gross said at a news conference that surveillance video showed Pena guiding, holding, and “clutching” Ambrose on the street late Saturday night. “It’s obvious from the video surveillance that she did not go along willingly,” he said.



• Around 12:30 p.m.: Pena was arraigned in Charlestown Municipal Court on a sole count of kidnapping. Pena was sobbing, sucking his thumb, and praying for forgiveness during the arraignment. A not-guilty plea was entered for him, and he was sent to Bridgewater State Hospital for a mental competency evaluation.

Victor Pena in court on Wednesday.Aram Boghosian for The Boston Globe

Danny McDonald, Mark Arsenault, and Travis Andersen of the Globe staff, and Globe correspondents Breanne Kovatch and Abigail Feldman contributed to this report.