Michelle Carter will return to court next Monday where Bristol County prosecutors will ask a judge to order her to start serving the 15-month sentence imposed for her role in the suicide of Conrad Roy III.
The move by prosecutors came one day after the Supreme Judicial Court unanimously upheld Carter’s involuntary manslaughter conviction, ruling that her actions met the legal standard of wanton and reckless conduct established by the courts since an 1816 case involving suicide.
A hearing is set for Monday at 2 p.m. in the Taunton trial court, according to Bristol District Attorney Thomas M. Quinn III’s office.
Carter’s defense attorneys could not immediately be reached for comment, but attorney Daniel N. Marx said in a statement Wednesday that they were considering an appeal to the US Supreme Court.
Carter was 17 years old and had been out of a psychiatric hospital for about a month when she urged her boyfriend, Roy, 18, to commit suicide on July 13, 2014, according to testimony in her Bristol Juvenile Court trial in 2017.
Carter was 30 miles away from Roy and on the phone with him, listening as he inhaled carbon monoxide in his pickup truck in a Fairhaven parking lot, according to testimony. At one point, Roy told Carter he was getting out of the truck, but Carter ordered him back in, prosecutors said.
Carter was convicted of involuntary manslaughter in a jury-waived trial in 2017 and sentenced by Juvenile Court Judge Lawrence Moniz to serve 15 months in prison. The sentence has been on hold while the high court reviewed her trial.
In its ruling, the SJC said Roy “was badgered back into the gas-infused truck by the defendant, his girlfriend. After she convinced him to get back into the carbon monoxide filled truck, she did absolutely nothing to help him: she did not call for help or tell him to get out of the truck as she listened to him choke and die.”
The SJC upheld her conviction and the 15-month sentence imposed by Moniz.