AAA has announced its 2019 list of best restaurants nationwide — and several of the top-rated establishments are located right here in Massachusetts.
Here’s a look at the local restaurants that got Five Diamonds, which is the highest rating AAA awards.
Massachusetts — Five Diamonds
• Menton in Boston
• The Portico in Lenox
• Topper’s in Nantucket
Rhode Island — Five Diamonds
• COAST in Westerly, R.I.
Maine — Five Diamonds
• White Barn Inn Restaurant in Kennebunk
Connecticut — Five Diamonds
• Restaurant at Winvian Farm in Morris
The director of the AAA diamond program, Michael Petrone, said gaining the Five Diamond status is “an impressive accomplishment.”
“To be considered leading edge, chefs must incorporate a laser-focused approach using innovative concepts and menus featuring the finest ingredients,” he said, according to a statement from AAA. “Diners want to be wowed on multiple levels, so exceptional service is also important, but they’re not necessarily looking for all the formalities that were once synonymous with fine dining.”
Meanwhile, several other restaurants in New England received the Four Diamond status.
The restaurants at the Four Diamond level “offer a distinctive fine-dining experience, employing creative preparations that are skillfully served amid upscale ambience,” AAA representatives said.
Here’s a look at the local restaurants that got the Four Diamond rating.
Massachusetts — Four Diamonds
• Bar Boulud in Boston
• Deuxave in Boston
• Mamma Maria in Boston
• Meritage in Boston
• Miel in Boston
• Mooo in Boston
• No. 9 Park in Boston
• Stars in Chatham
• 80 Thoreau in Concord
• twenty-eight Atlantic in East Harwich
• The Old Inn on the Green in New Marlborough
Rhode Island — Four Diamonds
• Cara in Newport
• The Dining Room at Castle Hill Inn in Newport
• The Vanderbilt Grill in Newport
• Gracie’s in Providence
New Hampshire — Four Diamonds
• Bedford Village Inn Restaurant in Bedford
• The Dining Room at Omni Bretton Arms Inn in Bretton Woods
• The Main Dining Room at the Omni Mount Washington Resort in Bretton Woods
• The Manor on Golden Pond-Van Horn Dining Room in Holderness
Maine — Four Diamonds
• Natalie’s in Camden
• Earth in Kennebunkport
• Ocean Restaurant in Kennebunkport
• Back Bay Grill in Portland
• Fore Street Restaurant in Portland
• Hugo’s Restaurant in Portland
• Primo in Rockland
• Walkers Maine in York
Vermont — Four Diamonds
• Junction in Essex Junction
• Rabbit Hill Inn Dining Room in Lower Waterford
• 275 Main in Warren
• Windham Hill Restaurant in West Townshend
• The Red Rooster in Woodstock
Connecticut — Four Diamonds
• Rebeccas in Greenwich
• Thomas Henkelmann in Greenwich
• ON20 in Hartford
• Restaurant at Spicer Mansion in Mystic
The ratings come after independent inspectors annually visited more than 32,000 eateries across North America, including the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Only 0.2 percent of those are awarded Five Diamonds, and just 2.1 percent are given the Four Diamond designation.
The Massachusetts recipients will be honored by AAA this spring at luncheons in Boston and in the Berkshires.