Weymouth man arrested in South End assault
Boston police have made an arrest in connection with a brutal beating in the South End earlier this month, the department announced early Wednesday.
Michael Kenney, 40, of Weymouth turned himself in just after 4 p.m. Tuesday, Boston police said in a statement posted online. Kenney was arrested on a warrant issued in Boston Municipal Court for charges of assault and battery, and assault and battery causing serious bodily injury, the department said.
Kenney was arraigned Wednesday on assault charges. A not-guilty plea was entered on his behalf, and bail was set at $5,000. He was ordered to stay away from the alleged victim, as well as Bostonian Market at Harrison and Fay streets, and JJ Foley’s, according to Suffolk District Attorney Rachael Rollins’s office.
Police incident reports suggest an argument at a late-night burrito place on East Berkeley Street escalated to a wild street brawl. Kenney allegedly slammed a person to the ground during the fracas, which involved at least four other men, according to investigators.
Kenney could be seen on video surveillance pushing two people and taking a “fighting stance” before he goes off camera, according to the police reports. Surveillance from a different camera recorded Kenney picking a victim up off his feet, causing the victim’s legs to go above his head, before slamming the victim down on the sidewalk. That move caused “serious bodily injuries to his head that required emergency surgery,” police said.
Boston police announced last week that investigators were attempting to identify at least five people believed to be connected to the attack that took place early on Saturday, Feb. 9.
On that date, police received a report around 2:45 a.m. of a person screaming for help near the intersection of Harrison Avenue and Fay Street, the department said.
Officers arrived to find a “semi-conscious” man lying on the ground, police said. The victim was taken to a hospital with injuries believed to be life-threatening.
The victim received substantial bruising around his left eye and a small laceration on the left side of his face, according to an incident report. At the scene, he was conscious but struggled to answer an officer’s questions, according to the report.
On Feb. 13, police released photos of two men believed to be connected to the attack and of two women described as persons of interest. It was not immediately clear Wednesday whether Kenney was one of the men in the photographs.
Kenney’s next court date is slated for March 29.