fb-pixel Skip to main content

Friend recalls Mass. skier killed in N.H. crash as reliable, adventurous

A skier who died Friday afternoon after crashing into another skier on the slopes at a New Hampshire ski resort has been identified as Jeremy Keiran, 39, of Somerville, Mass., according to New Hampshire State Police.

The other skier was also from Massachusetts, according to New Hampshire State Police, who identified him as Robert Slocum, 48, of Newburyport.

State Police arrived at the ski resort at 3:50 p.m. Friday to investigate the death.

A preliminary investigation showed that Keiran was skiing down Profile Trail on Cannon Mountain when he lost control and was thrown from his skis, police said in a statement. The Profile Trail is a black diamond trail, intended for advanced skiers, according to a trail map on the resort’s website.


“Keiran continued [to] slide through a roped off area at the end of that trail and then off an embankment. Keiran then subsequently struck Slocum, who was skiing on the Middle Ravine Trail,” police said.

Slocum sustained serious but non-life-threatening injuries in the collision at Cannon Mountain Ski Resort in Franconia, N.H., and was transported to Littleton Regional Hospital, police said.

Slocum was discharged from the hospital Friday evening, hospital records showed.

Terrain issues were not a factor in the crash, John DeVivo, the resort’s general manager, said in a phone interview Saturday afternoon.

“It can’t get much better in terms of conditions,” DeVivo said, noting the 35-degree temperatures Saturday. Friday was similar, he said.

On Saturday, 96 out of the resort’s 97 trails were open, DeVivo said.

Keiran worked for the last two years as a waiter at Strega Waterfront in the Seaport.

“We are deeply saddened by the loss of a friend and colleague. Jeremy was always smiling and a great person and we will all miss him dearly,” said a spokeswoman for the Varano Group, which runs the restaurant, in an e-mail Saturday. “Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this time.”


Outside Keiran’s home near Davis Square in Somerville, mail was piled up on the porch Saturday afternoon.

Jeremy Keiran (left) and his friend Curtis George in New Mexico.
Jeremy Keiran (left) and his friend Curtis George in New Mexico.Curtis George

Curtis George said he got a phone call Saturday morning from a friend telling him that Keiran had died.

George and Keiran became friends 15 years ago, he said, when George moved to Massachusetts.

George remembered Keiran not only as a friend he could always rely on, but an incredibly adventurous guy, always looking for a good time.

“When I left for the Marine Corps, he was the one who would pick me up and drop me off at the airport,” he said in a Facebook message to the Globe.

Keiran skied a few times a year, George said, but the two had never skied together, although they had discussed it.

“We talked and he told me he was going skiing there a few days ago, and asked [if] I wanted to go, but I couldn’t,” George said. “I took him hiking there last summer.”

George planned on hiking with Keiran again this summer.

“We had so many plans. So many mountains I want to hike with him,” George said. “Now I don’t know. It’s going to be hard.

“I can’t imagine what this summer is going to be like without him,” he said. “I just want to make sure people know how great and amazing a person he was. This world needs people like Jeremy, and it’s a huge loss that he is gone.”


Abbi Matheson of the Globe staff contributed to this report. Maddie Kilgannon can be reached at maddie.kilgannon @globe.com.