Man who allegedly kidnapped woman from bar now faces 10 aggravated rape charges
A Suffolk County grand jury Thursday indicted Victor Pena, the Charlestown man who allegedly kidnapped a 23-year-old woman in January after she left a Boston bar and held her captive for three days, on seven new counts of aggravated rape, officials said.
The grand jury handed up an indictment charging Pena, 38, with one count of kidnapping and 10 counts of aggravated rape, according to District Attorney Rachael Rollins’s office.
Pena had previously been arraigned in Charlestown District Court on the kidnapping charge and three counts of aggravated rape. The indictment moves the case to Superior Court, where Pena is tentatively scheduled for arraignment on March 20, according to Rollins’s office.
After the woman left Hennessy’s bar late on the night of Jan. 19, surveillance video showed Pena following her, putting his arm around her waist, and apparently guiding her toward the MBTA’s State Street Station, police said.
When the woman did not answer phone calls the next day, her twin sister used a tracking app to locate her phone at Walford Way and Corey Street in Charlestown, the location of the apartment building where Pena lived.
Despite an intensive search, another two days passed before police found the woman at Pena’s apartment.
The Globe does not identify alleged victims of sexual assault without their consent. After she went missing, authorities had named the woman in an effort to find her.
Pena’s lawyer, William Barabino, has said that there had been “no issue until the police came” and that Pena voluntarily opened the door when police began drilling into locks to his apartment. Authorities have said Pena seized the woman’s cellphone, but Barabino said the woman was on a phone under her control when police arrived.
Police have said she was sobbing and horrified when they rushed into the apartment and subdued Pena.