Chemical spill at lab sends 2 to hospital in Waltham
Two people were taken to the hospital Tuesday after a chemical spill at a Waltham lab, officials said.
Police and firefighters rushed to 35 Gatehouse Drive after a minor release of hydrofluoric acid in one of the labs in the building around 9:53 a.m. The building is mostly occupied by Astrazeneca Pharmaceuticals, Waltham Fire Lieutenant Scott Perry said, but he wasn’t sure who owned the lab where the spill happened.
A state hazardous materials response team and firefighters cleared the scene and deemed the building safe by 1:57 p.m., Perry said.
Perry said officials don’t believe there was anything suspicious about the incident.
Perry said firefighters did not need to use protective masks but were prepared for a dangerous situation because of the nature of the spill.
“This is what firefighters do. We train for the worst and hope for the best,” Perry said.