fb-pixel Skip to main content

SWAT team responds to Manchester, N.H. hotel after shots fired, persons barricaded inside

Multiple rounds of shots were fired at SWAT team negotiators at a Quality Inn on John E. Divine Drive in Manchester, N.H., where two people were holed up inside a room, Manchester police said early Thursday morning.

In a statement, Manchester police said Stephen Marshall, 51, of Manchester engaged a Manchester police officer and US Drug Enforcement Administration agents at the rear of the hotel with a gun at approximately 7:30 p.m.

Marshall sustained gunshot wounds and was transported to Elliot Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Officials said police and DEA agents did discharge their weapons during the exchange and no officers were physically injured.


As of 5:30 a.m., two individuals were still barricaded inside a first floor room at the hotel.

“The Manchester Police SWAT team has confirmed multiple shots fired during the past 20 minutes,” police tweeted shortly before 1 a.m.

Just before 3 a.m., police tweeted that additional rounds were being fired towards SWAT team members located around the building.

“Repeated attempts to contact the barricaded subjects have been futile for the past several minutes,” police said.

“Fortunately, no one on scene has been injured,” according to Twitter.

At 3:16 a.m., police tweeted SWAT deployed chemical agents inside the hotel room where two people had barricaded themselves.

Earlier, police tweeted that crisis negotiators were “ . . . actively communicating with the two barricaded subjects inside of the hotel room,” and were trying to convince them to vacate the premises.

Police did not indicate why the negotiations had broken off.

The hotel near Manchester Airport had been evacuated Wednesday evening, after multiple law enforcement agencies converged on the property.

“Fortunately, all officers are safe at this time and once again, this is a fluid situation while officers remain on scene with the barricades subjects,” Manchester Police Captain Brian N. O’Keefe said in an update issued about 10:20 p.m.


Shortly after 10:45 p.m., police said multiple shots were fired toward police positions outside the room. Officers remained on scene trying to negotiate with the “barricaded subjects inside,” authorities said.

Multiple agencies, including the city’s fire department and New Hampshire State Police, were assisting at the scene.

The hotel management could not be reached for comment.

This breaking news story will be updated.

Adam Sennott can be reached at adam.sennott@globe.com