scorecardresearch

Welding sparked blaze at auto repair shop in Cohasset

Cohasset police shared this photo of the fire on social media.
Cohasset police shared this photo of the fire on social media.(Cohasset Police Department)

Welding sparked a four-alarm fire that tore through an auto repair shop in Cohasset on Thursday, fire officials said.

Cohasset Fire Chief Robert D. Silvia and State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey said the fire at 147 South Main St. started in one of the repair bays and spread quickly due to the oil and gas in the shop, according to a press release from the state Department of Fire Services.

“The building appears to be a total loss and damages are estimated at $300,000,” officials said in a statement. “There was one apartment above the shop. Everyone managed to escape safely and there were no injuries in the fire.”

Advertisement



Firefighters from several towns responded to help extinguish the blaze.

Cohasset’s assistant fire chief, John Dockray, told radio station WATD that the water that was used to put out the fire mixed with the oil and gasoline in the shop.

“It has now caused a little bit of a hazmat situation,” he said in the interview with WATD. “Some of it got in the storm drains.”

On Friday fire officials said the state Department of Environmental Protection was on scene working to remediate contaminated run-off water from the building.


Emily Sweeney can be reached at esweeney@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @emilysweeney.