Five-acre brush fire in Falmouth likely caused by fireworks
A brush fire that tore through five acres of land on Cape Cod Saturday night was likely caused by the illegal use of fireworks, according to Falmouth fire officials.
Firefighters were called to the area of the Beagle Club on Old Barnstable Rd. at 11 p.m. for a report of a brush fire, according to a post on the Falmouth Fire Rescue Department’’s Facebook page.
Crews found three separate fires burning, each covering more than an acre. Additional firefighters were called to the scene, and the fire was controlled in about an hour. The fire eventually burned five acres, the department said.
At one point, the fire was “burning in close proximity” to several homes in the Cordwood Landing neighborhood.
“This fire was most likely the result of illegal fireworks usage,” the post said.
The Falmouth Fire Rescue Department, Falmouth Police Department, Barnstable County Sheriff’s Office, and the Massachusetts State Police are continuing to investigate the fire.
Last night at approx 2300 hrs, Breaker 18 and Engine 23 were dispatched to the area of the Beagle Club on Old Barnstable Rd for a brush fire. The crews encountered 3 separate fires burning, each over an acre in size. The Incident Commander immediately requested more resources including the FFRD Ranger and 2 additional brush trucks from the Mashpee and JBCC Fire Departments. The fire eventually burned approx 5 acres and at one point was burning in close proximity to some houses in the Cordwood Landing neighborhood. It was controlled in about an hour. Thanks to the Sandwich, COMM and Cotuit Fire Departments for providing station coverage and responding to calls in Falmouth during this incident. This fire was most likely the result of illegal fireworks usage, and is being actively investigated by the FFRD, Falmouth Police Department, Barnstable County Sheriffs Office and the Mass State Police.Posted by Falmouth Fire/Rescue on Sunday, May 26, 2019