fb-pixel Skip to main content

Longtime Bulger girlfriend Greig to be moved to Cape Cod halfway house this month

Catherine Greig.
Catherine Greig.AP Photo/U.S. Marshals Service, File/US Marshals Service via AP

Catherine Greig, the longtime girlfriend to the deceased South Boston gangster James “Whitey” Bulger, is scheduled to be transferred from a federal prison in Minnesota to a halfway house on Cape Cod later this month, her attorney confirmed Wednesday night.

Kevin J. Reddington, a lawyer who represents Greig, said she was slated to be moved to a halfway house in Barnstable County on June 19.

In 2012, Greig was sentenced to eight years in prison for helping Bulger evade capture for more than 16 years. In 2016, a federal judge sentenced Greig to 21 months behind bars for contempt of court.


Bulger, a notorious crime boss, was convicted in 2013 of participating in 11 slayings while running a sprawling criminal organization in Boston from the 1970s through the 1990s.

Reddington said prison authorities typically place someone in a halfway house “near the vicinity where they intend to relocate once they’re released from custody.”

“She can’t wait to come home, live in Quincy with her sister, and be left alone and get out of the limelight,” he said over the phone.

Reached Wednesday night Greig’s twin sister, Margaret McCusker, said she was happy Greig would soon be released from prison.

“Absolutely,” she said during a brief phone interview. “It’s long overdue.”

Asked if her sister’s spirits were high due to the prospect of returning home to Massachusetts, McCusker replied, “Of course.”

It was not immediately clear on Wednesday how long Greig, 68, would be in the halfway house, said Reddington. He declined to say where in Barnstable County the halfway house is located.

Greig is currently behind bars at FCI Waseca in Minnesota, where she has been “ a model inmate” who trained service dogs while incarcerated, said Reddington.

“Everybody loved her, whether they were correction officers or inmates,” said Reddington.


Reddington indicated that Greig will be on electronic monitoring while at the halfway house, and noted that inmates who are released to halfway houses “generally are able to work, get a job, but they do have curfews.” The specifics of such stipulations will be up to authorities, he said.

Bulger, who fled Boston shortly before his 1995 federal racketeering indictment and was one of the FBI’s 10 Most Wanted, was captured with Greig in June 2011, living in a rent-controlled apartment in Santa Monica, Calif.

While Bulger was on the lam, Greig used false identities, purchased Bulger’s medications, ran daily errands, and paid the couple’s bills.

Last October, Bulger was beaten to death by inmates at a federal prison in West Virginia. No one has been charged with Bulger’s slaying, although two Massachusetts men with ties to organized crime have been identified as suspects, according to several law enforcement sources.

Before his death at 89, Bulger, who was serving a life sentence, had indicated he wanted to see Greig again.

“She counts on my almost daily letter to keep her spirits up shes 67 now in constant pain from arthritis,” Bulger wrote in a Feb. 19, 2018 letter.

On Wednesday night, Reddington described Greig as “very healthy, other than the normal wear and tear.”

Shelley Murphy and John R. Ellement of Globe staff contributed to this report. Danny McDonald can be reached at daniel.mcdonald@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @Danny__McDonald.