Here’s what we know about the suspects charged in connection with the shooting of David Ortiz
At least two suspects are currently in custody in connection with the shooting of retired Red Sox legend David Ortiz on Sunday night in his native Santo Domingo.
Here’s what we know about the alleged assailants.
1] Eddy Vladimir Féliz Garcia — The 23-year-old Garcia stands accused of driving the gunman to the night spot where Ortiz was shot in the back. The beloved former slugger is currently recovering at Mass. General.
Garcia made an initial court appearance in Santo Domingo Tuesday night and remains in police custody. His lawyer and his mother insist he’s innocent of any wrongdoing, asserting he’s a motorcycle taxi driver who unwittingly picked up the gunman as a fare and drove him to the crime scene without knowing his intentions.
In a statement Tuesday, Attorney General Jean Alain Rodríguez’s office said prosecutors are requesting one year of preventative detention for Garcia, who also goes by El Nata or Vladi. Authorities described Garcia as an “accomplice to the assassination attempt” on Ortiz.
Garcia appears to be an aspiring rapper who performs under the moniker El Nata, according to his Instagram page.
2] The second suspect — Court records identified the second suspect arrested Tuesday as Oliver Moisés Mirabal Acosta, also known as “Papi. It wasn’t immediately clear what he’s charged with, but he has a criminal past.
The Dominican newspaper Listin Diario reported Wednesday that Acosta was sentenced to five years in prison for illegal gun possession in May 2017. The newspaper said Acosta had been accused of participating in the execution of at least four people in January 2013 at “El Pentagono,” a drug spot in the town of Las Palmas de Herrera. The killings were linked, the newspaper said, to a drug trafficking gang led by Junior Minaya Javier, nicknamed “Gilbert.”
3] Additional parties — In its statement on Garcia, Rodríguez’s office suggested more people are being sought in connection with the shooting. The release said in Spanish that “other persons” who participated in the crime have been identified, and more details will be released in a “timely manner” once “the capture and interrogations” have been completed.
The Dominican newspaper Listin Diario, citing law enforcement officials, has reported that Garcia and the gunman allegedly plotted the shooting with other people who were in two Hyundai vehicles one street away from the Dial Bar and Lounge, where Ortiz was at the time of the attack.
The newspaper identified the suspected gunman as Oliver Mirabal, who was captured Tuesday night.
4] Motive unclear — Authorities have not said why they believe the gunman shot Ortiz but have ruled out robbery as a motive.