Prosecutors in the Dominican Republic have identified the man who allegedly arranged to pay the people charged in the shooting of David Ortiz, the retired Red Sox legend who survived the attack in his native Santo Domingo earlier this month.
New court documents said Alberto Miguel Rodríguez Mota planned to provide the money — $7,800, according to authorities. Mota, who is not in custody, is charged with attempted murder.
Another suspect, who is in custody, Gabriel Alexander Perez Vizcaino, 24, convened the hit squad, according to the documents. On Monday, he was charged for his alleged role in plotting the attack, and Judge Mary Ramirez ordered him to be held up to a year behind bars as the investigation continues.
And a third man, Jose Eduardo Ciprian, who at the time of the attack was in prison and now faces new charges, put Vizcaino in touch with Mota, the documents revealed.
Ramirez called the case “complex.”
The documents provided a detailed look at the machinations of the men who are facing charges in the Ortiz shooting. But they did not provide an answer to the central question of who ordered the hit and why.
Ortiz, 43, was shot once in the back at close range on the night of June 9 as he sat with friends on the patio of the Dial Bar and Lounge.
Prosecutors have suggested more information could be released this week. Ortiz continues to recover at Massachusetts General Hospital, where he arrived last Monday.
In the documents, prosecutors said that on the Sunday before the shooting, Mota and Vizcaino discussed the details and the plans of the hit job.
At some point, Ciprian sent Mota a photo of the target, according to the documents, which did not say whose picture it was.
On the day of the shooting, Vizcaino received a gold iPhone that showed “the person they were going to liquidate,” he confessed Friday, according to the documents.
Later that day, Vizcaino allegedly met with the hit squad at a gas station, where he showed them the photo. Authorities said he then got in a car with Luis Alfredo Rivas Clase, also known as “The Surgeon,” and Maria Fernanda Villasmil Manzanilla, a Venezuelan woman who officials say was part of the plot.
From prison, Ciprian and a suspect named Carlos Rafael Álvarez allegedly enlisted the help of Mota, Rivas Clase, and another suspect, Oliver Moises Mirabal Acosta, to recruit and execute the assassination plot, according to the documents.
Vizcaino is identified as one of the men huddling on the night of the shooting near the Dial Bar with the alleged shooter and the motorcyclist who allegedly drove the shooter.
The day after the shooting, at 1 p.m., Vizcaino allegedly went to the house of a woman in East Santo Domingo and showed her the phone.
He claimed the phone had “problems” and sold it to her for 9,000 pesos. “He did this to get rid of the phone after learning that police were looking for him,” the documents state.
The newspaper Listin Diario first reported on the court documents.
Vizcaíno was the 10th suspect indicted by Dominican authorities.
The others indicted included Rolfi Ferreras Cruz, 25, the alleged triggerman. The men were split up among four prisons to protect the integrity of the investigation, officials said, and could be held for up to a year while police investigate.
Ferreras Cruz has reportedly claimed from jail that Ortiz wasn’t his target, saying he was confused because he had only been told the color of the intended victim’s clothing.
“It wasn’t David,” he said, according to a video posted online by the newspaper Diario Libre. Santo Domingo’s top prosecutor, Milciades Guzmán, told reporters Friday that he plans to push for a 40-year prison term for Ferreras Cruz.
In addition to Mota, several suspects remain at large, according to Erick Montilla, a spokesman for the prosecutor’s office. He identified them as Rivas Clase, Villasmil Manzanilla, and Marcos Diaz.
On Sunday, Ortiz’s family posted Father’s Day tributes to the revered former slugger.
“A late Happy Father’s Day to my day one,” Ortiz’s daughter, Alexandria, wrote on Instagram. “Nothing more to say other than thank you for the sacrifices you have made to give not only me but our entire family the whole world in our eyes. You have worked so tremendously hard while not fully enjoying the fruits of your labor.”
Danny McDonald, Naomi Martin, Michael Levenson, and Laura Crimaldi of the Globe staff contributed to this report. Travis Andersen can be reached at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe.