Man gets 10 to 12 years for fatal stabbing of teen at Brockton park
A 22-year-old man convicted Monday of fatally stabbing a teenager in a Brockton park will be free before he reaches his mid 30s, officials said. ‘
Plymouth Superior Court jurors found Anildo Lopes Correia guilty of voluntary manslaughter in the April 2015 stabbing death of 18-year-old Ywron Martins, who suffered injuries to his face and torso during an altercation at James Edgar Park Playground, prosecutors said.
District Attorney Timothy J. Cruz’s office asked that Lopes serve 18 to 20 years for the crime, but Judge Brian A. Davis sentenced him to 10 to 12 years, according to prosecutors. Cruz’s office said two other stabbing victims involved in the melee had survived.
Martins turned 18 just a week before his death and lived with his guardian, Janish Rojas.
Rojas told the Globe soon after Martins was killed that he and Correia were friends at one point, but that Martins had started distancing himself from some of his associates.
Martins had been in trouble with the law and was enrolled at the time of his death in a program helping him find work, Rojas said. “That’s my son,” she said. “His life was worth so much.”
The killing struck a nerve in the city, which had invested about $750,000 in recent improvements to the park, said Mayor Bill Carpenter shortly after the eruption of violence. The park was reopened and rededicated in 2014, he said at the time. It includes a playground, skate park, baseball and soccer fields, and volleyball court.
At Correia’s sentencing Monday, Davis said he followed state guidelines in deciding the amount of prison time the defendant would serve, the Brockton Enterprise reported.
“No defendant up here in this court is a monster,” Davis said from the bench, according to the newspaper. “There are people who have done things and they’re responsible for what they’ve done, but part of my job is to ensure that they get an appropriately sentenced in light of what they did.”