fb-pixel Skip to main content

4 arrested at casino in first 24 hours of operation

The first 24 hours at the Encore Boston Harbor were relatively tame, according to police.Pat Greenhouse/Globe Staff/Globe Staff

EVERETT — Four people were arrested in three incidents at Encore Boston Harbor during the casino’s first 24 hours, which the city’s police chief described as a success.

“Very limited problems,” said Police Chief Steven A. Mazzie. “Overall, we feel good.”

He said the number of arrests was low, given the many thousands of people who visited the $2.6 billion resort casino, which opened Sunday morning at 10. Traffic problems were minimal, he said, and emergency medical personnel were quick to help people who struggled with the heat as they waited to get inside.

One person was charged with trespassing after they were asked to leave and then came back, another was arrested for disorderly conduct at about 2:30 a.m. Monday, and two men from New York were arrested after allegedly cheating at roulette, according to police.


Jankelli S. Volquez, 27, and Hector Hernandez, 56, were charged with cheating and conspiracy after being observed cheating at a roulette table, State Police spokesman David Procopio said.

They were released on personal recognizance and ordered to stay away from the casino, said a spokeswoman for Attorney General Maura Healey.

State and local police respond to incidents at the casino. All four people arrested were booked at the Everett Police Department, Procopio said.

Another casino patron was issued a summons for possession of heroin, he said.

In addition to those criminal matters, Procopio said state troopers helped Wynn Resorts security with minor incidents, such as underage people on the gaming floor — many of whom were passing through with adults — arguments, medical aid, and crowd control.

The Encore, which has 671 hotel rooms, 15 restaurants and lounges, and 3,158 slot machines, opened with a fireworks display and Frank Sinatra crooning through the loudspeakers Sunday. It is the state’s third casino to open since lawmakers legalized casino gambling in 2011.


Michael Weaver, a spokesman for Encore, said the casino had about 5,000 guests waiting in line at noon on Sunday.

“We were able to accommodate all guests inside Encore by 2:30 p.m. and had steady visitation throughout the afternoon and evening,” he said.

On Monday afternoon, the Encore was pretty busy. The burger bar was nearly full of patrons, there was a line at the Dunkin’ with marble floors, the poker room had at least 200 people, and several blackjack tables were full.

“We are very pleased with our visitation thus far and the overwhelmingly positive response we’ve received from guests about the Encore experience,” Weaver said.

A new test of the resort casino will come this weekend — its first Friday and Saturday nights — when the crowds could well be larger and the traffic more of a challenge.

Mazzie said police are prepared for the days and weeks ahead, but “every day is a first for this facility and for us.”

Joshua Miller can be reached at joshua.miller@globe.com.