DA promises ‘complete, impartial’ review after Boston police shoot, kill man
Investigators returned to Penhallow Street in Dorchester Tuesday, a day after Boston police officers shot and killed a 19-year-old there during what police said was an exchange of gunfire.
The scene had been cleared for hours, but they cordoned off the small residential road and combed for evidence. They looked through trash cans, bushes, and flower beds, and checked whether houses had surveillance cameras.
Police have not identified the 19-year-old. The officers have been placed on leave during the investigation into the shooting.
The officers involved in the incident were not wearing body cameras, but officers who arrived afterward were, police said.
“As part of the investigation, we will be reviewing any body-worn cameras by any officer participating not only in the pursuit, but also as they arrived on the scene,’’ Boston Police Commissioner William Gross said Monday.
On Monday about 5:15 p.m. a witness told the two officers, from a citywide bicycle unit, that shots had been fired in Town Field, a neighborhood park. The officers then saw the 19-year-old and a second suspect running from the park onto Melville Avenue, Gross said.
They split up, and the two officers chased the 19-year-old on their bicycles. One officer abandoned his bike and continued his pursuit. They caught up to him on Penhallow Street and saw he had a gun. They ordered him repeatedly to drop his weapon, Gross said.
“Unfortunately, a suspect fired shots at two Boston police officers,” Gross said. “I want to note that these officers were in uniform with their badges clearly displayed.”
The officers returned fire, striking the 19-year-old. Police did not say how many shots were fired by either the man or the officers.
After the shooting, the officers gave the man first aid until emergency medical teams arrived, Gross said.
A gun was recovered at the scene, and ballistic evidence also was found in Town Field, Gross said. The second suspect remains at large, police said.
On Tuesday, Jim Baichoo, who lives on Penhallow Street, a few houses away from the scene, said he was gardening with his granddaughter when he heard bangs.
“I was wondering to myself why they would have firecrackers,” he said. “But then I realized it was shots, firing.”
In a statement Tuesday, Suffolk District Attorney Rachael Rollins said she was thankful the officers were not injured and expressed her sympathy for the family of the 19-year-old. She said there will be a “complete, impartial, and transparent review” of the shooting.
“As we lead our independent investigation into the events that unfolded, we ask for patience and calm; violence or the threat thereof have no place in our community,” she said.