fb-pixel Skip to main content

A third tornado touched down on Cape Cod last week

Owen Cardosi, 16, of West Yarmouth looks at damage along Pleasant Street in Dennisport.
Owen Cardosi, 16, of West Yarmouth looks at damage along Pleasant Street in Dennisport. Barry Chin/Globe Staff/Globe Staff

The National Weather Service said Monday it had determined that a third tornado touched down on Cape Cod during last week’s storm.

The tornado occurred in West Yarmouth around noon on July 23, and had an estimated maximum wind speed of 90 miles per hour and a path width of 50 yards, the weather service said.

“Based on additional information provided by TV meteorologists, residents, and Skywarn amateur radio, the National Weather Service has determined that there was an additional tornado in West Yarmouth on July 23,” officials wrote. “This brief and narrow tornado was on the ground at the same time as another [previously reported] tornado ... was moving toward South Yarmouth.”


The tornado touched down on Yacht Avenue and Schooner Street before traveling east for about one quarter of a mile. It lifted on Egg Harbor Road, officials said.

There were no fatalities or injuries reported, weather service officials said.

“Numerous pine trees were snapped near their bases. Tree tops appeared twisted. Residents reported seeing swirling motion,” they wrote. “This tornado was only on the ground for one minute, between noon and 12:01 p.m. It lifted as it approached the south end of the Bass River.”

The weather service previously reported that two tornadoes had touched down in the Tuesday storm — one in Harwich, the other in Yarmouth. Those tornadoes had wind speeds up to 110 miles per hour, felling trees and power lines and tearing the roof of a motel at the height of the tourist season.

Before this storm, only three other tornadoes were ever documented on Cape Cod — one in Woods Hole in October 2018, one at Hyannis/Barnstable Airport in August 1977, and one near Sandwich in August 1968, officials said.

On Sunday, the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency said that approximately 80 percent of Harwich had been cleared of debris, and about 90 percent of Dennis.


Travis Andersen can be reached at travis.andersen@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe.