A rough morning at Encore: Casino sees multiple disturbances, arrests

Pat Greenhouse/Globe Staff/Globe Staff

They won’t want an encore of this rowdy behavior.

Three people were taken into custody early Monday at Encore Boston Harbor following separate disturbances at the casino, State Police said.

The first incident occurred shortly after 2 a.m., they said, as patrons were leaving Mémoire, a nightclub inside Encore.

State Police said the disturbance involved a large number of patrons, requiring officers to call in backup units.

Shani Mohamed Abo, 29, of Everett, was arrested and charged with assault, disorderly conduct, and resisting arrest after he allegedly became uncooperative and combative with a club security officer and police.

Trouble flared again at around 2:15 a.m., as police responded to a second fight involving a large group in the hotel’s main lobby, State Police said:


“Troopers from the [Gaming Enforcement Unit] and State Police-Medford located a Lynn man, who allegedly became involved in a verbal altercation with two women, then pushed one of them and grabbed her cell phone from her hand and threw it across the lobby. Further investigation revealed that the suspect allegedly inappropriately touched one of the women. The suspect, Herby Charmant, 25, of Lynn, was taken into custody and charged with indecent assault and battery, assault and battery, lewd and lascivious behavior, and disorderly conduct.”

Another fight broke out less than 10 minutes later.

“At approximately 2:23 a.m., troopers responded to a third fight, this one the gaming floor,” State Police said. “Troopers from State Police-Medford quelled the disturbance and dispersed a group of people. One person, a 26-year-old Lynn man, will be summonsed to court for an assault and battery charge.”

The Lynn man was not named. A second Lynn man had contact with troopers at around 3 a.m.

“At approximately 3 a.m., as multiple patrons involved in disturbances were being escorted off the property by State Police and Everett Police, police attention was drawn to one man who was highly intoxicated and continually yelling,” police said. “That man, a 32-year-old Lynn resident, was taken into protective custody.”


Its rough morning notwithstanding, the Encore has been raking in cash since its June grand opening. The Globe reported last month that the casino took in $16.7 million in gaming revenue in its opening week, paying out $4.1 million for taxes.

Travis Andersen can be reached at travis.andersen@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe.