Man charged in fatal Dorchester shooting was on probation following June gun conviction

The man accused of fatally shooting 27-year-old Marcus Dunn-Gordon on Monday night in Dorchester had been sentenced to probation in June for a conviction in a previous gun case in Suffolk Superior Court, court records show.

Brian Keith Joyce Jr., 25, of Dorchester, faces a murder charge after Dunn-Gordon was gunned down late Monday near the Boston Bowl. Joyce was arrested Wednesday in Manchester, N.H., and will eventually be brought back to Boston to face the murder count.

According to a law enforcement official, Dunn-Gordon and Joyce got into an argument outside the bowling alley during which Dunn-Gordon was shot multiple times. The Randolph man was able to make it to the lobby of the Ramada by Wyndham motel, where he collapsed.


Joyce was convicted in June during a bench trial in Suffolk Superior Court on a charge of armed robbery subsequent offense but acquitted of three additional gun counts, records show.

Superior Court Judge Janet L. Sanders sentenced him to three years of probation with conditions that he submit to GPS monitoring, stay away from the named victim, reside with his grandmother, perform community service, and seek and maintain employment or participate in educational or training programs, records show.

Joyce had served time before.

He pleaded guilty in 2013 in Suffolk Superior Court to armed robbery, assault with a dangerous weapon, armed assault to rob, and assault and battery with a dangerous weapon.

He was sentenced in that case to 2½ years in jail with 18 months to serve, according to legal filings.

In addition to the murder arrest Wednesday, Joyce also has a pending drug case in Suffolk Superior Court, where he pleaded not guilty last year to distributing Class A and Class B drugs, as well as unlawful possession of ammunition, records show.

His lawyer in that case didn’t return a call seeking comment Thursday.


US Marshal Enoch F. “Nick” Willard of the District of New Hampshire praised the authorities who arrested Joyce on the murder warrant Wednesday in Manchester. He was apprehended by the marshals, as well as Boston and Manchester police.

Friends of Dunn-Gordon, meanwhile, have taken to social media to voice their grief and recall his kindness.

“My deepest condolences to the Dunn-Gordon family,” one Boston resident wrote on Facebook Tuesday. “Young bull had a beautiful soul.’'

Dunn-Gordon collapsed in the Ramada lobby at about 11:45 p.m. Monday. He was taken to a local hospital, where he later succumbed to his injuries.

Authorities haven’t detailed the evidence allegedly tying Joyce to the crime, nor have they disclosed a possible motive.

John R. Ellement of the Globe Staff contributed to this report. Travis Andersen can be reached at travis.andersen@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter @TAGlobe.