fb-pixel Skip to main content

Man charged with killing bouncer outside Dorchester party in 1995 pleads not guilty

After 24 years on the run, a man was arraigned Monday for allegedly killing a bouncer outside an after-hours party in Dorchester in 1995.

William Sanchez, 46, remained out of public view in Suffolk Superior Court as he pleaded not guilty to charges including first-degree murder stemming from the fatal shooting of 20-year-old Jorge Medina on Oct. 8, 1995 on Norwell Street.

Relatives of Medina cried softly as Sanchez entered his plea.

Clerk-Magistrate Edward J. Curley approved a request from Assistant Suffolk District Attorney John Verner to hold Sanchez, who fled first to New York and later to the Dominican Republic, where he was apprehended a few weeks ago, without bail.

Advertisement



“The defendant has been on the run for 24 years,” Verner said. “The Commonwealth wants to make sure that running stops today.”

Sanchez’s court-appointed lawyer, Kelli Porges, did not address the allegations in court. Porges didn’t immediately respond to an e-mail seeking comment after the hearing.

Medina was shot in the area of 195 Norwell Street around 3:40 a.m., according to prosecutors’ statement of the case filed in court.

He had been serving as a doorman for a party at the address when he escorted an unruly guest, later identified as Sanchez, from the event, according to prosecutors.

Sanchez allegedly retrieved a firearm from his red sports car and returned to the party location, where a neighbor reported hearing him say, “You want to (expletive) with me ... no no don’t (expletive) with me ... yeah well take this!” prosecutors said.

Multiple shots rang out, and Medina was shot in the back and pelvis, according to the government. He was later pronounced dead at Boston Medical Center. A witness reported hearing someone say after the gunfire, “I told that (expletive) not to (expletive) with me!” the statement said.

Advertisement



Several broken red fiberglass pieces from a vehicle, as well as a number of spent shell casings, were recovered from the crime scene, records show. In addition, Boston police received an anonymous tip on Oct. 10, 1995 that Sanchez was the shooter, the statement said.

The following day, records show, two witnesses identified Sanchez as the killer in a photo array of suspects, and cops learned he had left the day after the shooting for New York and may have been headed to Bani, Dominican Republic.

“In 2017, a Boston Police Detective assigned to the Cold Case Homicide Unit reviewed the defendant’s case file and determined that Sanchez may still be in the Dominican Republic,” the statement said. “With the help of federal authorities, Sanchez was located, arrested, and [ordered] to be sent to the United States to answer on the charges that make up this indictment.”

In addition to murder, Sanchez is charged with armed assault to murder for allegedly shooting at a second man during the incident and unlicensed firearm possession, legal filings show.

A pre-trial conference is scheduled for Jan. 28.

“When a homicide occurs families are forever altered. Honoring the legacy of those whose lives were taken requires a relentless pursuit of justice,’’ said District Attorney Rachael Rollins in a statement over the weekend. “Our office is committed to that mission and will be with the Medina family each step of this difficult process. There is no statute of limitations on murder. Whether a homicide happened decades or days ago, we are working tirelessly to solve them. All of them. And with the advances in science and the renewed commitment by my office and the Boston and State Police, we are making advances every day.”

Advertisement